Thread: Exterior Epoxy for Concrete Porch Floor

Exterior Epoxy for Concrete Porch Floor

Any experience with epoxy coatings for exterior concrete?

I am considering doing an epoxy coating on my porch. Almost never freezes. Temp reaches about 100° for a couple of weeks each year.

I would prefer doing it myself unless you folks warn otherwise.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I've got a friend who works with a lot of commercial coatings. He says they are not as good as they were when they had arsenic in them. I have not used any.

Are you thinking about the same stuff that folks use to pretty up their garage floors, Brian?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I don't know how expensive this stuff is but it is beyond any waterproofing I have ever seen:
    http://www.spillcontainment.com/ever-dry

Hey, Epoxy coating is highly durable and reliable. It will last more than 4-5 years and you don’t have to do anything much to maintain. Just regular mopping with warm water is more than enough. Floortex decorative concrete coating did epoxy coating on my garage in Toronto.
    http://www.floortex.ca/products-and-...poxy-coatings/
    The link has all the information you want to know about epoxy coating. Hope it helps you. Do some research on Internet you will get enough information.

Don't know anything about it but the first thought to hit my mind was if it would be slick when wet?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Epoxy has very limited UV resistance, so will 'chalk' pretty quickly in full sun. Would advise caution unless it is a shaded area.

Big box stores started carrying acrylic porch paint. Presumably it has better UV resistance, so I tried it on my aunt's covered porch and it's adhesion was pitiful. Lasted about 8-9 months. Stripped it and used epoxy about a month ago (...we'll see). Can also get anti-skid additive package (aka fine sand) to mix into paint before application.

Did a stint as a chem plant maintenance manager many years ago. Best exterior tank coating method we found was Sher-Will epoxy (chem resistance), then topcoat with Sher-Will hi-build aliphatic polyurethane (UV resistance). It would make a heck of a porch coating...might even outlast the concrete. It was $100/gal 25 years ago.