Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood River #1

Wood River #1

wr 1.jpgwr 1b.jpg
    OK as requested, I'm going to post my mini review of my newly acquired WR #1 plane.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a plane guru, far from it. I am not a pro woodworker either. Hobby woodworker at most. I do suffer from that plane collecting disease, gottahavethat.

Here goes.
    Cute little guy, pictured by my Stanley #4, and the bottoms. Looks like a real plane. Built really well, as far as I can tell. Blade and chipbreaker are top notch, out of the box it was sharp, had to give it a run. Bottom was flat. Didn't check the 90 to the sides as who would really shoot with this. Fit and finish is the best I have seen. Although this is the only NEW plane that I bought. All others are vintage planes. Can't afford a real Stanley #1. He's pretty cute. Can't figure out how to hold it. I have big hands, and can't hold it properly. If you had REALLY tiny hands, you couldn't grip it properly either. I planed down some rough oak, and it cut easily. Takes a full width cut no problem. Yeah the blade is like an inch wide, but, it does full blade cuts no problem.
    Did I say he was a cute little guy? So I sharpened the blade. Surprise. The blade does not fit in my honing jig. Too narrow. Hand honed the blade. Bevel was nice and sharp, couple passes up to 1200 grit. Back was reasonably flat. Took a few minutes on my 800 stone then though to 1200. This is the surprise. I took my curly koa display stand I'm building, and planed down the curly koa with NO chipout. I earlier used my (other) #4 with a Hock blade and I had some pretty good chip out. Pretty much expect that on curly koa, some sanding and done. This cute little guy planed it down and removed all of the chipout. I was and am amazed. You're only taking an inch of wood off at a time, so maybe that is the trick, but just for that, this is a keeper, and not a shelf sitter. Maybe I gotta re-tune my Hock bladed #4, but that's later. I did have it set pretty aggressive for the oak I was planning down earlier. Oh yeah, just for laughs, out of the box, I did try some end grain on the oak, and the #1 cut that too.

Bottom line. Is it for everyone? Probably not. Collector? No, probably not either. It is well built, not a toy. I had some overtime just burning a hole in my pocket, and a Woodcraft 15% off sale. It's a cute little guy, and I'll probably grab it before any of my block planes from now. If you just gotta have a #1, I think you need it. And no, it will not just sit on the shelf. It's a user.

I used mine today to smooth some edge banding on some plywood. I hold it about like a block plane.

Yep, it works well.

It is a cute little guy.

Mine sets on the shelf above my desk at work with a hunk of Cherry so if someone wants to see how a hand pane works they can have a go at it. Better than a photo but I can't say I have much use for it except as a work plaything.

BTW, has anyone mentioned it's a cute little thing?

ken

P.S. Would I buy it again? Of course I would....it's a cute little guy.

Blog Entries
    My #1 is an LN. It isn't just a shelf sitter either.

Yes it is cute.

And yes, knowing what I know now I would buy it again.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Glad you like it Kyle!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've owned one for a month or so and really like it. I keep it in a convenient accessible spot on my workbench so that it gets used a lot. As for as holding it goes, instead of trying it hold it like I would a larger plane, I place the tote in the crotch between my right thumb and index finger and hold the knob with my other hand.

So far, I have been able to resist cute little things, but this may become the exception. Thank you for the post.

This one is even cuter.

bed1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    This one is even cuter.

bed1.jpg
    PLEASE tell me that this is not yours...

I mean, unless you WANT me to drive to your house...in the middle of the night...wearing a ski mask...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

This one is even cuter.

bed1.jpg
    Wow, it sure is. I've never seen a 601.
    I'm guessing you don't use that beauty ?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Sadly, it isn't mine. Patrick Leach had tgese for sale. I don't know if they are still available or not.

Sadly, it isn't mine. Patrick Leach had tgese for sale. I don't know if they are still available or not.
    I do not even want to know what something like this would sell for!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I would imagine a 601, which I never even knew existed, in that nice condition would sell for way more than the last #1 I saw, which went for over 3 grand.
    That is a cute guy too. Way too valuable to use though.

Kyle, Stanley never actually made a 601. This is purely a modern recreation done by Patrick Leach, of what Stanley "could have done".

http://www.supertool.com/601.htm

Ah, at a mere affordable sum of 695, a bargain to boot! I was wondering why you said if he's still selling them. And it had the box. I was initially thinking, for some reason he had bought a number of them as an investment. And a solid investment at that.
    Now THAT plane is a collector plane destined to increase in value.....