Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood River #1

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    Kyle, Stanley never actually made a 601. This is purely a modern recreation done by Patrick Leach, of what Stanley "could have done".

http://www.supertool.com/601.htm
    Ok - I heard he'd done that but forgot it until you said so. That makes much more sense and explains why I've never seen or heard of a 601. DOH!

That sure is beautiful, but personally, I think Id rather buy the LN for $225, than the one Mr. Leach did.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

it sounds like its a cute plane you can't actually hold?

That 601 sure is purdy, but I gotta' ask:

In what situation would you actually reach for a Bailey #1, instead of a small block plane? Even a #3 strikes me as a bit non-essential.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post

In what situation would you actually reach for a Bailey #1, instead of a small block plane? Even a #3 strikes me as a bit non-essential.
    The #1 iron is actually narrower than most block planes. It also has a chip breaker which most block planes do not.

Mine is used for smoothing on small parts. Occasionally on small areas with real twisted grain. Sometimes it is also used on a corner joint where the face of one piece is slightly proud of the adjoining face.

Some folks feel they only need a #4 or a #7 bench plane to accomplish every task. It is possible and if that is their choice, fine. My choice is to have a full range of planes to accommodate my mood at any given woodworking moment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't have a #1, but I have a small coffin style infill that is 6.5" long with a 1.5" iron that is very useful for small areas of tear out where I don't want to go over the entire surface again.

I use my #3 quite frequently on smaller pieces, and if I had a #2 that would be nice as well.

If I want a free hand to help stabilize the work, then I'd grab a block plane. If I want a two-hand grip on the plane, then the No. 1. Of course, there are many situations where you could use either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The #1 iron is actually narrower than most block planes. It also has a chip breaker which most block planes do not.

Mine is used for smoothing on small parts. Occasionally on small areas with real twisted grain. Sometimes it is also used on a corner joint where the face of one piece is slightly proud of the adjoining face..
    jtk
    Jim, you've long offered to have Creekers stop by. I was wondering if you weigh everyone when they go into your shop and when they leave.

Just askin'.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    No, I trust most people want to be honest.

Besides my wife writes down the car tag and does a background check. (just kidding)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ah, of course.

It's funny: I have quite a few really small woodie smoothers, including coffins, and I use them all the time, but somehow when I see a metal bailey-type plane, I just automatically think of rougher work, no matter how small.

Weird.

Blog Entries

Highly figured woods, guitar purfling, string inlay, small dovetail key repair... But really handy for building Oompa Loompa furniture. :-)
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 08-15-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Patrick Leach had them manufactured and sold them himself. I think he sold it for at least $450. Stanley never manufactured a 601 so it is technically not a reproduction but rather an "imagining" of what a 601 would have looked like. I saw one once at a tool show being resold by someone else and it was a very well made little thing, but I didn't even ask the price. I don't know how many Patrick Leach had made but it might be as many as 50 or 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Darjes View Post
    Patrick Leach had them manufactured and sold them himself. I think he sold it for at least $450. Stanley never manufactured a 601 so it is technically not a reproduction but rather an "imagining" of what a 601 would have looked like. I saw one once at a tool show being resold by someone else and it was a very well made little thing, but I didn't even ask the price. I don't know how many Patrick Leach had made but it might be as many as 50 or 100.
    It's currently on the site listed for $695, but I have no idea if any of them are still available.

To those #1 owners......

Beyond the cool/cute factor (arguably significant ) what advantages if any do these hold over a standard block plane? Does the tote offer greater utility? I've got a decent selection of standard and low angle blocks with adjustable mouth openings and never seem to be lacking for the right tool for the job.

Edit - Missed Jim's response to a similar question above.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have had my Lie Nielsen for well over 20 years (April of '92). Kids loved it as it fit their hands well. I use it on occasion when I need it