Thread: Combine woodworking and quilting?

Combine woodworking and quilting?

My wife does a lot of free-motion quilting. She just finished another wall hanging. Here's the front.

Front.jpg

And here's the back.

Back.jpg

I've been thinking about making a frame and panel cabinet door with a quilted block for a panel. The cloth would probably be sandwiched between glass and plywood or mdf.

Has anyone else tried something like this? Do you have any other creative suggestions for combining the two — something more interesting than the typical racks to hang quilts on?

Blog Entries
    I've made quit racks like this.
    quiltrack2.jpg
    kristinquiltrack1.jpg

The shelf can be used for knick knacks or plates.

I've also framed quilt squares in traditional picture frames with glass.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Whew! That quilt certainly deserves to have both faces visible. Just awesome!

Jay, are you talking about a panel that would hang on a wall like a picture frame that could be swung out to show the back ? That would be awesome. ..Especially if it were also easy to spin the quilt sandwich so either side could be the normal display side. It'll be a fun project. That's a fantastic quilt.

Jay, first off--that is awesome work showing in those photos!

I've seen a variety of racks, frames, and stretchers used for hanging and displaying quilts and textiles, but can't recall anything sitting behind glass. I think you'd be doing a disservice to the artwork by putting it behind a sheet of glass.

ps. Well, I stand corrected - following this post I did a quick Google search and came up with a site (simplyamish.com) that creates display cabinets that look to be pretty attractive:
    LCMQD.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 08-12-2015 at 11:13 AM.

That is just beautiful work! I can't think of any display method that would do justice to it.

Thanks for the compliments! This particular piece is about 3-foot square. It will hang on the wall above our bed. I would like to incorporate some future quilting into a functional piece of furniture — not just for display.

Lee, I like the idea of combining a shelf with a hanger.

Yonak, I was thinking of this as an actual door for a cabinet.

Mike, those are good-looking display cases. I tend to agree regarding the glass. I do have to think about how to protect the quilting if it is used as the panel for a frame and panel cabinet door.