Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DSLR photography resources?

The basics of exposure haven't changed much, you might want to look into ETTR and see if that suits you shooting style. I've been shooting from a tripod so long I'm virtually incapable of a hand held shot, but it allows me the time to think about all the settings etc. Another thing that's fun for landscapes is Black Card Technique (just in camera dodging). At the end of the day Zeros and Ones are a lot cheaper than film ever was, so go shoot a bunch come back home and see what you can learn from what you did. I'm a huge fan of Lightroom, I'm fairly competent with it but I'm effectively scared of Photoshop. I do the subscription thing from Adobe for Lr and Ps and I'm happy with the service. Anthony Morganti has some really nice videos on Lr which have been very helpful to me and they're free.

The 80-200 it turns out had a focus issue if you tried to focus right around 20', about impossible to do in their shop so they hadn't caught it. I did end up buying a new Sigma 70-200 2.8 because I expect to be doing a lot of shooting at my daughter's volleyball games which of course are indoor.

I think you made a good decision. Although the 80-200 is a good lens, it can be expensive to fix them. I just dropped $550 to repair a Nikon 17~35mm f/2.8 lens that had its internal focusing motor go out. I've heard good things about Sigma lenses.

Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all have some really great lenses these days. They are every bit pro quality and sometimes test better than the equivalent Nikkors, but offer a more attractive price if the Nikkor isn't affordable. While all my current lenses are Nikkor (35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G, 24-120 f4 and 70-200 f4) I'm seriously considering the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 for a super wide angle option. And it's about half the price of the Nikon 16-35 f4.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...