Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR photography resources?

DSLR photography resources?

I'm thinking of getting back into photography as a hobby--haven't done anything but point and shoot pics since my early teens and again in college when I took a photography class. Everything's changed of coarse which meshes with my interest in computers and technology. Looking for some good resources for getting started and choosing an entry-mid level DSLR. Also could use some refreshers on the basics though I'm sure it will all come back to me, and I'm a complete noob on software--I can scale and crop and maybe fiddle with brightness and contrast but that's about it.

Thinking I might want to take some classes or seminars over the winter so if anyone semi-local knows of something, or if there's something online too, that would be great. Our community college offers some through community education that I need to check into but they sound extremely basic from the catalog.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-11-2015 at 10:59 PM.

kelbyone.com
    kenrockwell.com
    photofocus.com
    lynda.com
    strobist.com
    adobe.com

That should get you started.
    Regards,
    Dick

I watched a lot of Adorama TV videos on youtube when i was getting into it. I found Mark Wallace easy to digest most of the time. Very helpful getting me ramped up.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

One of the best all around photo sites is http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

http://www.glennclabo.com
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Check for a photo club in your area. Almost always a great group of people willing to share their knowledge. Also usually a good source for used equipment as the members trade up

I haven't had a subscription since the D in DSLR first came on the scene, but you might check out Popular Photography as a side resource for product and how-to info.

B&H is a reputable shop that you can purchase gear from online.

I did both a beginner and intermediate class at the local college. One night a week for 6 weeks. Really refreshed my memory on the basics of ISO, aperture, ss, dof, and the relationships between them, all the while getting some good practical advice from the 2 instructors.

Haven't had much time to do much on line. Can agree with B&H as a good source, though.

I second DpReview.com as a valuable resource

Matt,

I second DpReview.com as a valuable resource. I got started in it back in the Pentax K1000 era like a lot of folks did, and I had a lot of money invested in Pentax mount glass, so I ended up staying with Pentax when the DSLRs became the norm. I'm now on my second Pentax digital body (ist-D & K-7), and plan on buying the new full-frame if it is affordable when it comes out this fall. If I had the luxury of starting over from scratch, I'd concentrate my interest in Canon or Nikon, because of the greater supply of lenses and accessories. In the end though, it is foremost about the human behind the lens, and the quality of glass. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements as my primary editor, and I am also into HDR photography these days, so I use another program called Photomatix Pro, by HdrSoft. What ever software you decide on, make sure that it has a RAW converter built in, because if you're like most of us that progress a little beyond entry level enthusiast, you'll want the wider latitude of editing range that RAW gives you. Here is a shot from a local NHRA car show that I took last Saturday.

IMG_0217frame1.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Marsh; 08-12-2015 at 2:40 PM.

I had a Canon A1 way back that my parents bought me used. I used it for that college class which included darkroom work. We have 5 prints from my final project from that class hanging in our foyer. At some point when the digital revolution was just starting I sold it on Ebay while I still could. I think my dad waited about 2 years and got essentially nothing for his.

I have been doing photography for 40 years. I kind of slacked off when digital came in. I found a SONY DSLR that took my old Minolta lens and now I am off to the races again.
    All new DSLR's are too expensive for me. I have been doing just fine with the old SONY. I have learned Photoshop Elements on Youtube and with some books.
    I have gotten back to the ability I once had with film.
    My medium and large format cameras would not sell for enough to by a lens cap these days.
    You might look up KEH camera on web. I have purchased many items from them over the years. They sell used and I have never had a problem with any of there products.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    You might look up KEH camera on web. I have purchased many items from them over the years. They sell used and I have never had a problem with any of there products.
    Same here. Adorama or B&H for new stuff. KEH for (really good) used stuff.
    Regards,
    Dick

Thanks for all the links.

Question...I see a number of "deals" out there right now. Is there a better time of year to buy, for example should I expect to see better "deals" around the holidays or new-model introduction time?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I had a Canon A1 way back that my parents bought me used. I used it for that college class which included darkroom work. We have 5 prints from my final project from that class hanging in our foyer. At some point when the digital revolution was just starting I sold it on Ebay while I still could. I think my dad waited about 2 years and got essentially nothing for his.
    I still have an A1 that I bought new, and several lenses. I don't think it's been used in 25 years. I did take the battery out of it.

We just bought a D5300, to upgrade an old D40, and we're really pleased with it. It's a couple of generations old, which means it was really a good deal-less than 500 for the body-using lenses we already had. I have no need to have the latest, greatest, fanciest.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-13-2015 at 8:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Thanks for all the links.

Question...I see a number of "deals" out there right now. Is there a better time of year to buy, for example should I expect to see better "deals" around the holidays or new-model introduction time?
    I would recommend that you don't get caught up in waiting for deals. Set a price point...and then see what's out there that feels good and gets you excited. I'm a Canon guy...but I don't believe the name really helps a beginner to learn what it takes to get an interesting shot. The basics of photography can be learned by study but learning by taking pictures and self/others critiques really helps you to improve more rapidly. What you pay for the ability to take the picture can be a point and shoot...if you don't have the funds to get a more complex camera.

One of my pet peeves is when someone sees one of my pictures and says...man you must has an expensive camera. To me it's like telling a chief...man you must have an expensive knife. I find it really amusing when they find out I don't just use my expensive gear...it maybe just an old phone...or one of my point and shoots. If you become a pro...then you need a more reliable and capable tool. Sound familiar?
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 08-14-2015 at 1:44 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I guess my question was more of should I hurry to take advantage of one of these so I'm not kicking myself in a month or two or are there going to be similar deals two months from now because everything is always on sale? Some are at Costco, so there's always an option to return within 90 days if I made a mistake but several of their deals expire in a couple weeks. Pricing seems to be the same at B&H, Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, etc for Nikon and Canon, and Nikon is advertising that on their own site as sale pricing.

For example in two lower-end price ranges:
    Nikon D3300 bundle, $650
    http://www.costco.com/.product.100161421.html

Canon EOS Rebel T5 bundle $500
    http://www.costco.com/.product.100128185.html
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-13-2015 at 10:45 AM.