Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomatos gone wild!

Tomatos gone wild!

I like to trim my tomato plants with a jackknife but this year they are out of control so they are getting a bit big sometimes when I get to them. So........

Does anyone know of a thumb guard that I could cut against with the knife, my thumb is getting tender. I don't like gloves, and I don't like to use a pruner, not enough feel. End up cutting the wrong one.

Post office guys have a thing they put on their thumb for sorting letters, something like that but tougher.

Ideas?

Thanks, Larry

I am glad your tomatoes are doing so well. Mine suffered badly with two months of rain in May and June.

My tomatos are not doing well either. Suffered from the June rain.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I did not plant until the tenth of June, and have had to water since. Better that way as I can control it. I water very little in the first month to make the roots go deep, then use soakers about once a week.

My daughter lives in Valpo, she was saying that you have had a lot of rain this year. I don't want it now to avoid blight on my viney plants. Last year we got a little rain almost every day in the later season and I got blight.

How 'bout just duct tape a small piece of wood to your thumb?

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Malleable-Meta...=finger+splint

Probably available at your local CVS.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Cut the thumb off of a pair of leather or welding gloves? Or if you have small hands use the fingers from a pair of XL gloves.

Although James didn't expressly say it, this is a woodworking forum so some solution involving WOOD is a thought.

-Tom

I would look at a sewing thimble from a quilting supply or leather supply for sewing leather together. They are different than the one that goes on the tip of the finger.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Good thoughts!

Bruce, you may have something there. The thimble idea as well.

Blog Entries
    Look for a Sailor's Palm. Google it. It covers part of the thumb and Palm.

Everyone I've seen doing work like that just wraps what needs it in duct tape.
    How much "feel" do you need to snip a tomato off a vine? Just snip it off and move to the next one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Here's something you might like from Hoss Tools https://hosstools.com/product/handy-twine-knife/

handy_twine_knife3.jpg
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I don't like to use a pruner, not enough feel. End up cutting the wrong one.
    My tomatoes are doing pretty good.
    If you can see them, why do you have to feel them? And if you can't see them, how is feeling them going to help?
    I use a pruner.

Larry,
    Why not use a carvers thumb protector.
    I got mine from Lee Valley.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe