Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arts And Crafts Coffee Table - Finished

Blog Entries

Arts And Crafts Coffee Table - Finished

Last post – finally finished arts and crafts inspired, white oak coffee table. Previous build pics are in separate posts.

Most recently, I had a finishing disaster related to an inlay in the tabletop. Details in previous post.
    In summary, overall finish for the project included dye and subsequent stain – my challenge was trying to prevent those from coloring the inlay. These pictures basically show the downward spiral into a smoking hole in the ground; scraped the inlay flush with the tabletop and then tried to blend the finish around the inlay into the rest the tabletop – epic failure. Masked off inlay and apply finish over entire area – not much better!

10.jpg11.jpg13.jpg12.jpg

Ultimately, I planed the table top back to bare wood, carefully masked off the inlay and reapplied the finish. Once I got to the clear coat and removed the masking tape and it sort of worked out.

Here’s the complete project with hardware installed – thanks to my fellow Neanders for the suggestions.
    6.jpg7.jpg

Hopefully these pictures show the exposed, chamfered through Tennons and plugs covering the pinned M&T joints.
    8.1.jpg8.2.jpg

Blog Entries
    I probably went overboard and the rest of these pictures – sorry.

8.3.jpg9.1.jpg9.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Here’s the “hidden” drawer added by request from my “customer” – our oldest son.
    30.jpg31.jpg

Blog Entries
    And the hopefully happy owner – it took 20 minutes to clear the crap off the floor in his room to find a place to put the table – oh to be young and carefree!

32.jpg

Thanks for looking, Mike

Came out great, Mike.

Lessons learned move everyone forward.

I like the drop pulls/handles you got for the doors - fit the stiles' space nicely, and match up great with the drawer handles.

Nicely done, Sir. Nicely indeed.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

good stuff, Mike -- this post is greatly appreciated

Blog Entries
    Very nice work Mike! I really like how it turned out.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

"oh to be young and carefree!" Ain't that the truth! And which begs the question, whatever would the young and carefree put in a hidden drawer...

Fabulous work and great posts. Thanks again for taking the time to post Mike.

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Well done. The hardware looks really nice. Glad you were able to work through the finishing...would never know.
    Thanks for posting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Came out great, Mike.

Lessons learned move everyone forward.

I like the drop pulls/handles you got for the doors - fit the stiles' space nicely, and match up great with the drawer handles.

Nicely done, Sir. Nicely indeed.

Thanks a lot Kent. I really appreciate all your help with this project – both the finish ingredients/schedule and the hardware were your suggestions. I'm not very creative/artistic and both of these are problems for me.I really appreciate all the insight and expertise that people like you here in the Creek freely offer.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Christopher Charles;2454760]"oh to be young and carefree!" Ain't that the truth! And which begs the question, whatever would the young and carefree put in a hidden drawer...

Thanks guys for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.

Chris, one thing I've learned in raising two boys 25 and 21, is there are is there are lots of questions like this that I'm much better off not knowing! I'm sure my boys think I'm incredibly unaware and "out of it" because of all the things in their lives I don't ask about or comment on, and I'm happy to keep it that way

All the best, Mike

Mike thanks for sharing the whole process mistakes and all. Makes the build seem real. I enjoyed watching.

Chuck

Beautiful work Mike!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It turned out great, Mike. My 2 boys are a few years older, but I couldn't agree more with your philosophy!

I appreciate you posting this as it went. I know how much effort is involved, but we can all learn something from others projects, especially the trials and tribulations. Thanks for baring it all! Wait, that doesn't sound right. But you know what I mean.

Thanks for sharing. That looks great. Super cool project.