Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new bandsaw on Monday...thoughts appreciated

Getting a new bandsaw on Monday...thoughts appreciated

I am so happy with the lathe, table saw, and jointer from Grizzly that I am going to order a bandsaw on Monday. Looking at the following two models. Seems the only difference is the HP. 2 vs 3 HP. Any comments one way or the other. We do quite a bit of resawing so obviously the bigger the HP the better (using the correct blade is key and assumed)
    Item# G0513X2 $1095, no foot brake
    Item# G0514XF $1475 and comes with foot brake

Can't answer your question, but I can say that I have 4 Grizzlies: TS, jointer, sander, and BS (smaller than yours). My BS came perfectly aligned, so setup was very easy, and you're probably going to be very happy. I'm a huge Grizzly fan. (Do they make fans?)

Just bought the 17" Anniversary Edition
    Looking forward to finishing my shop and putting it to use.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Also, the 3HP one is listed as a 19" saw, and the 2HP one is listed as a 17 inch saw. I don't have experience with these particular saws, but I like having a foot brake on my saw.

With bandsaws - within a brand - I say the bigger the better. I have the G0514 and I very much appreciate the large table, and the sturdy tilt mechanism.

More mass means a little more stability. Love my Griz.

There are a couple of other threads on this board that mention the benefit of having a foot brake, and that it's a safety and convenience feature well worth any added cost. Based on that recommendation and several other key features, I recently bought the G0513X2BF as my first (and likely only) bandsaw, and am pretty pleased with the results so far. I have other new and used Grizzly equipment in my one-person hobby shop as well and have found them to fit well into my mantra of always trying to purchase the best mid-level market products that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    With bandsaws... the bigger the better.
    +1 ^^^^

Never had a customer complain about "too much" bandsaw. On the other hand, though...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I can add two thoughts:

I love by G0513X2 but wish I had the foot brake. It takes a long time for the blade to stop moving.

If I had the money, I would have purchased the G0514. Bigger is better.

Just remember that the build of the machine, strength of neck and resistance to tension and twist are even more important than HP so do your homework when buying a resaw. Dave

I had a 514 and sold it when I moved. I downgraded to Rikon 345 because it was half the price and I didn't use a BS all that much. But the difference in power is noticeable, so if you will be doing a lot of resawing, the 3hp would be an obvious choice over a 2hp.
    I have never had a foot break and can't see why it would be worth an extra $200. So you have to occasionally wait 2 minutes for it to wind down....

Oddly the Rikon 345 and the Grizzly 514 are now the same price. I would definitely buy the 514.

I have a Rikon with tension release and will be adding electrical interlock to the release. Its really embarrassing (even when solo in shop) to start the saw with no tension. Hard on blade.

I'd look for such in a new saw.

Simplistically, a better measure than hp or throat might be weight. The G0513X2 17" saw weighs 352 lbs, the G0636XB 17" saw weighs 630 lbs (about the same as an MM16). One has to ask, what is the difference (and I'm confident it is not just motor weight)?

I have the 513 with motor brake. Year later came out with model that had motor and foot brske. The foot brake would be nice for that one time when need to stop saw but hands are busy...

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I have the 513 with motor brake. Year later came out with model that had motor and foot brske. The foot brake would be nice for that one time when need to stop saw but hands are busy...
    Does the foot break turn off the saw, or just slow/stop the wheels (in turn the blade) from rotating? If it actually turns off the machine, that is news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stein View Post
    Does the foot break turn off the saw, or just slow/stop the wheels (in turn the blade) from rotating? If it actually turns off the machine, that is news to me.
    The foot brake engages the motor brake (pushing the red button does the same), which stops the motor completely in about 3 seconds. But power remains applied to the saw (meaning you could still turn it on with the green button) until you switch the safety key to the off position.