Thread: cnc in or near vt

cnc in or near vt

I am considering buying a cnc router as I transition back into my own solo woodworking business from 14 years of employment at a local shop. I would like to get a solid small format machine from a reliable company that will provide good support. I am currently looking at Camaster, Shopbot and Shopsabre, but am open to other suggestions. Is there anyone close to my location who would be willing to show me their machine in operation and help guide my choice?

Kevin...I'm in northern Maine and I built my own machine but in reading all the info on machines I think a shop bot is a good bet. lot of support for it. good folks on their site. Dan

Kevin,

Both CAMaster and ShopBot have referral and demonstration programs. You should contact both companies for more information.

Thanks for the replies. I found a Camaster owner an hour away through their forum, and will be picking up his lightly used 4'x8' Stinger Sunday. Now the challenge of learning to operate it begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I found a Camaster owner an hour away through their forum, and will be picking up his lightly used 4'x8' Stinger Sunday. Now the challenge of learning to operate it begins.
    What CAD software package did you get? Vectric & Camaster have a great working relationship.
    You will like the Camaster.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I think you made the right decision going with a 4x8. I just squeezed my 4x8 into the shop space I had but if I went with a 4x4, I wouldn't be able to do several of the jobs I've done. It's very convenient being able to throw on a sheet and not have to think about it too much.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Bruce, the router comes with Vectric Cut 2D and 3D. The owner was using solidworks to design his skiis and importing the files to the Cut 3D CAM program. I will start by using the existing programs to get going and see how my 2D/3D Designcad works with them. I need to do some basic stuff for a few months before I think about investing in more software. The whole subject is a bit overwhelming for an old analog woodworker like myself.

Ross, I was doubtful that I could fit more than a benchtop machine into my 1100 sq. ft. shop already full of gear. When I saw the unit I am getting I realized it could fit in the space currently occupied by my 4'x8' assembly table and serve the same function when not cutting parts. It will enable me to do a larger scope of work, and the used 4x8 is only about half again the cost of a new 2x3 Stinger. Interesting times ahead.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 08-14-2015 at 10:20 PM.