Thread: Need help with wood id

Need help with wood id

Thinking sycamore but have only had a couple of small pieces of sycamore years ago and it was fresh cut. This is dry and in board form.
    DSCN0489.jpgDSCN0487.jpgDSCN0493.jpgDSCN0494.jpgDSCN0486.jpg
    Moderately soft but not as soft as pine , more like a soft maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

It is sycamore but the quarter sawn side.

Yup, Sycamore or London Plane, which is almost identical, and quarter swan. If you are making bowls from log sections, you want the pith area to be the bottom of the bowl.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Yup, Sycamore or London Plane, which is almost identical, and quarter swan. If you are making bowls from log sections, you want the pith area to be the bottom of the bowl.

robo hippy
    Why do you want the pith side to be the bottom ?
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

The medullary rays, or flecking as it is some times called will only show if you quarter saw the log. This means all board stock must be cut straight in towards the center/pith of the log. So, by having the pith part of the log being the bottom of the bowl, you will get the rays showing up there. If you turn it the other direction, with the outside of the tree being the outside of the bowl, they are just about invisible. With hollow forms, you will get the rays on maybe 1/4 of the piece.

robo hippy

should make some pretty plates

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    The medullary rays, or flecking as it is some times called will only show if you quarter saw the log. This means all board stock must be cut straight in towards the center/pith of the log. So, by having the pith part of the log being the bottom of the bowl, you will get the rays showing up there. If you turn it the other direction, with the outside of the tree being the outside of the bowl, they are just about invisible. With hollow forms, you will get the rays on maybe 1/4 of the piece.

robo hippy
    Thanks Reed and everyone else

They scare me .

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    They scare me .
    What ??????