Thread: lumber stock lengths

lumber stock lengths

I have a huge pile of boards I need to remove from its present location. Most of it is around 16 feet in length, which is too long for my vehicle and storage area. Does it destroy the value of the wood (mostly various hardwoods) if I cut it to 8, 10, or 12 foot lengths?

From my experience, 8' is generally the shortest standard length board. Below 8' is considered a "short" and sold at a discounted price. 10' and 12' are common as well.

At 16' lengths, I am guessing it is all construction grade lumber. If so, cut about half of it in two for 8' lengths and make the rest the longest lengths you can accommodate. You can generally find a use for short boards but when a long one is needed, nothing else will work.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    Think of the items you make and try not to cut shorter than will provide material for these things. When I have to lop a board off to get it home or to store it once there I determine the length based on the figure. That is; even though and 8' piece and a 4' piece might store well, if a pair of 6' pieces leave me a better figure pattern on the material left, I do that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The rule of thumb I usually follow is to keep it as long as possible.

I wouldn't cut them to move them. I'd rent a larger truck or trailer first. If they won't physically fit in their new storage location, I would only cut off the minimum necessary.

A board can always be made wider. Not so easy to make it longer.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If you must cut it, mark the two pieces so that they can be used together for future projects. Best way to get grain and color match is to make as much of the project from one board as possible, especially with woods like cherry and walnut. Only cut them as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Think of the items you make and try not to cut shorter than will provide material for these things. When I have to lop a board off to get it home or to store it once there I determine the length based on the figure. That is; even though and 8' piece and a 4' piece might store well, if a pair of 6' pieces leave me a better figure pattern on the material left, I do that.
    Yep. If I must cut, I account for the longest project I might want to make. Impossible with certainty.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)