Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The spinning cost of a big dog.

The spinning cost of a big dog.

Dudley is the friendliest dog in the world.

Today's Vet bill cost the same as my Delta 46-460.

The upcoming surgery costs the same as a Powermatic 3520 lathe when it goes on sale twice a year.

The surgery 18 months ago cost the same as a Powermatic 3520 lathe when it goes on sale twice a year.

I am so thankful that we got pet health insurance after the first surgery.

Dudley is the luckiest dog in the world.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

glad you are better Dudley... you have super good people !
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Glad to hear you are both doing ok. We just went thru back surgery on our dog and it cost about the same as a Sawstop PCS.

I would be interested in what insurance company you have.

Can you insure a dog with a "preexisting condition"?

Brian, I know the feeling having had two premium cost experiences with the vet. First was my dog, Buddy, a couple of years ago. He passed away shortly after. In the last month, my wife's cat, Tiny, had surgery and special tests at a cost close to $3k. I did not know that there was Obamacare for animals.
    Rick

We use ASPCA pet insurance. It was the lowest cost of the pet insurances and seemed to offer the best care. We have "level 1" because it includes congenital conditions. I don't know about other pre-existing conditions, but for the joint issues we had to wait until we had paid for a year.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My wife and I are very attached to our two dogs and it was devastating when the dog suddenly lost the use of back legs. We took her to the Purdue University Small Animal Hospital. I can not say enough about how they took care of our dog and calling with frequent updates. Such great people and excellent doctors and my dog is walking again.

I did an online quote with ASPCA pet insurance and included our dogs problems, depending on the plan and deductibles it was $30-40 per month.

People ask me why I do not have pets. I tell them it because I wanted a tractor. The tractor may be cheaper.

But - - the tractor doesn't greet you with a wagging tail like you are absolute ruler of the universe every time you walk past it.....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Yep, passed on 3 PM3520s 3 or 4 years back when our 2 elderly cats developed problems. No pet insurance then.

But it was worth it. We would (and probably will) do it again.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

4 years ago they said we had to put our dog to sleep, but it would cost $1,500 for a catscan to find out if the seizures were caused by a stroke or a brain tumor. I asked why we would do that. They said we might be curious. Passed on the catscan.

We took her home, she largely recovered in a week (dragged her back legs for 6 months), and is now 14 and walks 2 miles every day. Go figure.
    I didn't know there even was pet insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    But - - the tractor doesn't greet you with a wagging tail like you are absolute ruler of the universe every time you walk past it.....
    Then again...a tractor will not insist on sleeping with you, chew up your furniture, nor poop in the living room...usually...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    ...But it was worth it. We would (and probably will) do it again.
    +1 ^^^......

Our previous German Shepherd was from rescue and was diagnosed with deteriorating kidney functions about a year after we had him (vet believed due to chronic dehydration in prior life). As a result, he needed prescription Science Diet dry food and a powdered supplement 2X daily for his entire life. The vet said that if we were lucky, he would make it to 8 years. He lived to be 12. That food was so expensive, it was like feeding a human child. But I would gladly keep paying it if he were still alive. You just have to.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I am getting a plant, probably a spider plant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Here is my BIG ISSUE with Pet Health Insurance.....

On EVERY Pet Health Insurance plan that I have checked out, The owner of the Dog has to pay the FULL COST OF THE VET BILL FIRST!! Then, the pet owner submits the bills to the Insurance Company for the 80 % reimbursement. Leaving the owner actually having only to pay 20% of the bill.

BUT!!!!! It's the having to pay the full amount up front first, that stops me from getting the insurance. If you get an estimate for an operation that could cost anywhere from 1500 to $3000, not many people have that much cash laying around to pay that kind of a bill up front. Why don't the companies deal directly with the Veterinarians and then have either the Veterinarian , or the insurance company bill the 20% remainder to the owner ? Do it just like Health Insurance for people.

In the situation I just described, A lot of Dogs would be put down , because the owners just don't have that much cash up front to cover those large bills.