Thread: Black Walnut Shavings/Dust

Black Walnut Shavings/Dust

Job I'm running is milling Black Walnut and producing a fair amount of waste. I know the tree (leaves) are a known alleopathic agent (inhibits growth in other plants) ... anyone know if the dust/shavings are a problem? I was abut to empty the cyclone and vacuum and thought twice about where to put the waste.

Based on this Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet (and other similar sources), I would not use the dust and shavings as mulch or in my compost bin.

Blog Entries
    You also don't want to use sawdust or shavings for animal bedding or around horses.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I would bag it and set it out for waste collection. But then I don't have an alternative in the sub I live in. My local mill uses their waste as horse bedding (big equestrian area) trucks full, but must run walnut separately as it is unacceptable for that use.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-14-2015 at 8:14 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I compost or directly put my walnut waste in the compose or garden directly. Been doing that for years. Still have 7-8 ft high tomato plants, great raspberry crops, etc. No problems with 55 gals going right into the garden.

Works great in flower beds where you don't want weeds to grow all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Job I'm running is milling Black Walnut and producing a fair amount of waste. I know the tree (leaves) are a known alleopathic agent (inhibits growth in other plants) ... anyone know if the dust/shavings are a problem? I was abut to empty the cyclone and vacuum and thought twice about where to put the waste.
    Perhaps that's why I'm only 2 1/2' tall? Knew there was a reason for it!
    Last edited by Al Launier; 08-18-2015 at 3:17 PM.