Thread: Center Bits

Center Bits

I was cleaning my shop today and found a can that someone gave me years ago with twist bits, auger bits, hole cutting bits, etc. Going through it I found a set of center bits. I don't know much about this type of bits. Bob Rozaieski had a podcast on them, but I can't find much else on their use and utility. Is their any one that uses these bits?

I also found what I believe is a rosette cutter. The center point is too short to hold the bit in place. I am guessing someone filed it short and ruined it. Is there any ideas on fixing it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try searching Youtube for The Renaissance Woodworker, If I remember correctly, he had a video on there about them.

Blog Entries
    The six center bits look to be made for an electric drill unless the ends have been cut off.

These are often used by carpenters and such as they are lighter than full twist bits.

If the spur has been filed too much they may leave a chipped out edge.

I haven't seen a rose cutter bit. It looks like it could be fun trying to get it to work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use center bits of this form quite frequently (thanks to Adam Cherubini). They are part of my period WW demo kit. When properly sharpened they really do the job. Information on sharpening and using them will soon be out. I'm working on a blog (still private) that details what I've learned. It will be public once I've got 25 entries in the bank.

Do not assume the rose (or rosette) cutter is bad. A deep point for guidance would leave a deep point in the finished rosette. Glue a small starter block for the center point on the piece being worked. It will be turned away by the cutter when you reach finished depth.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I gave it another try in some scrap cherry. After 45 minutes and some sharpening, this is what I got. At least the bit did wander in cherry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chuck,

I will look forward to your blog.

Glen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Johnson View Post
    I gave it another try in some scrap cherry. After 45 minutes and some sharpening, this is what I got. At least the bit did wander in cherry.
    Glue a wood button plug in the center and call it molding.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)