Thread: Invite the Wreck?

Unhappy Invite the Wreck?

On Usenet, rec.woodworking has been taking a huge bashing from destructive "trolls" and an incredible assortment of people who make it clear that they are not nice. Try this link if you want to see what's going on there GOOGLES ARCHIVE OF REC.WOODWORKING. It's sad, because there are a lot of great people there and some of the less than great are bringing it down.

My question is: should I mention this great and friendly place there or is it too dangerous to put The Creek near that rampaging torrent?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Lets keep our peace.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Please leave well enough alone. We don't need that crap.

we're being watched you know (wink)

Ron

Let them Wreck. I used to read it all the time but the BS that's been going on lately is too much.

Jeff - enjoying the peace on the Creek

I suggest we leave well enough alone and don't make an announcement. This is REALLY a nice place place right now and I think the good (like yourself) will find SMC in due time.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

They should be watched....

Originally posted by Ron Meadows
    Please leave well enough alone. We don't need that crap.

we're being watched you know (wink)

Ron
    ...... swirling down the toilet bowl
    Truly a bush league forum, if it 's a forum at all !!!
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Invite whom you want

Why not send emails to the people you want to invite here and let them know about the place? Just because some folks are happy with how it is here right now is no reason not to bring in more woodworkers. By emailing, you can finetune the direction of your message.

Diane

Thumbs down I checked it out.

First time I went there. Man, some pitiful stuff there. Don't think I will go back there.

Thumbs down X-nay on the riff raff-a

Yes... let's keep the riff raff from here, the first forum I logged on a few years ago had that problem, At first every thing looked ok but after awhile the riff raff would start a flame and get a bunch of people ticked off at each other. That made it tough to get knowlegable people to log on. What a mess!
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

If there's someone you appreciate on rec.woodworking, but you know they're not visiting here, invite them individually.

Same kind of thing happened to the rec.skiing.alpine group a couple years ago and it's just partially recovering now. The worst of the worst haven't left entirely, but their appearances are becoming less frequent.

If you liked rec.woodworking, keep checking back every few months. These uprisings of awfulness seem to come and go.

Blog Entries

Agree!

I agree with Dianne and Kneale, invite the people you like via private e-mail.

We all have to remember that it is the people that make the community and when we see behavior we don't like we have to take responsibility and write to them privately and let them know. If we disagree, do so politely. If you want to argue, do so via pm or emails, leave it off the public forum. If there is someone you don't care for, just don't respond to any of their posts. SMC allows you to block posts of people you don't care for, that way you don't get tempted to start a contest.

I for one will welcome any one until they misbehave.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute