Thread: Lie-Nielsen No. 9 Prototype

Blog Entries

Lie-Nielsen No. 9 Prototype

I visited my friend today. He owns 2000 plus planes. We were in his tiny workshop, and knowing that his fancy planes were at the house, I said, "So tell me, what is the coolest plane you have in this shop." I wanted to see what he really used. He takes two steps and pulls off the top of his tool chest a plane he had told me about but I had never seen. He once loaned a guy in Maine his No 9 Stanley to make a copy of. This fella he loaned it to owned a little-known tool company. He used my friend's No 9 to measure and what-not so he could create his version and in turn he gave my friend two prototypes. This is one of them.

Here is the kicker, and I did ask if that was original to the plane and it is; it has a hex-head screw! Look out folks, the Internet just blew up. Yes, you who complain when LN uses those evil slotted screws; this prototype had a hex screw for the cap iron.

Another cool thing is it had a trigger to adjust the depth of cut. Sadly, I did not get to check it out long. My hands were shaking when I took the pics.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Also, for you that asked about Cuban Mahogany- here is an antique West Indian piece he is restoring. You can see where there was a chunk missing and he filled it in with a piece of mahogany. This is part of a real Cuban Mahogany piece from the early 1800's. Locally crafted from local mahogany.

image.jpg

He he also pulled out a Norris smoother and a transitional plane that someone had cast a bronze body for and turned it into an infill. Also he had a LN No. 1 Bronze, a LN bronze shoulder plane, and an artisan made shoulder plane. All these were crammed into the top of an open tool chest. I love visiting him.

Beautiful work !

I just today found out that Lie Nielsen has discontinued the # 9 plane from their offerings.

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Malcolm, WOW, never saw a trigger on a plane before this one. Interesting. Would love to get this guy's cast offs!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Malcolm, WOW, never saw a trigger on a plane before this one. Interesting. Would love to get this guy's cast offs!
    You'll have to fight me for them.

Blog Entries
    Neat stuff, but with all that dust on the #9 it doesn't look like it gets much use.

That thing looks to be bigger than your feet!

WOW, never saw a trigger on a plane before this one.
    My Stanley #95 has a similar trigger like device for blade adjustment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

LN just made a batch of no 9"s.

Didn't see it on the website. Got a link?

Blog Entries
    The shop where this tool was kept was totally destroyed in the storms. I have not seen Mike to ask if the tools made it. Mike owns a couple of thousand moulding planes. Not all of them were in that shop, but there were some nice ones and some Norris smoothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The shop where this tool was kept was totally destroyed in the storms. I have not seen Mike to ask if the tools made it. Mike owns a couple of thousand moulding planes. Not all of them were in that shop, but there were some nice ones and some Norris smoothers.
    Wow, so sorry to hear that. That's a huge loss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    My heart aches to think about it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

LN made a limited run. I was on a waiting list, they emailed me and I placed the order via phone. Received mine last week.