Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what bandsaw should I get for this one job?

Does the Cypress need to be treated for fire resistance?

FWIW, I paid a lot of money to have Cedar kindling' removed from a house before I would move in. Seems like they attracted bottle rockets in the Houston area, and it saved me a bit on insurance.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 08-16-2015 at 3:55 PM.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Does the Cypress need to be treated for fire resistance?

FWIW, I paid a lot of money to have Cedar kindling' removed from a house before I would move in. Seems like they attracted bottle rockets in the Houston area, and it saved me a bit on insurance.
    Must be a regional thing. Here in New England, its plenty wet plenty of the time, and we don't get dry lightening. Cedar shake is a premium roof and they typically go 100+ years, no fire retardant. Siding too. If I lived in certain parts of California , Colorado, or Arizona not a chance in America I would use cedar for siding or roofing. Clay sounds good. Perhaps Texas should be on the list of places to not use wood roofs? Lots and lots of sun, occasional 10 year droughts, forrest fires, not conducive with wood roofs. But wood roofs are quite happy in the Pacific Northwest generally.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Fire is not much of a worry where this house is, or even around here generally. It's in a quiet Historic town with a fire hydrant at the street, and a Fire Department a hundred yards away. There is no difference in insurance cost because of a wood roof, or any such other building material exclusions.

I thought shingles were supposed to be split not sawn? When you split wood you aren't opening up the pores of the wood to moisture like sawing the wood does? I am no shingle expert though!

I believe shakes are split and shingles are sawn.

Have you looked around to see if there are any antique farm machinery clubs that may have an operational shingle mill? You may get same help and motive power to run it just because you are giving them an excuse to run the toys.

The originals on the house, made in 1850, are sawn. There was all sorts of steam powered equipment around here after 1818 at least. Yes, shakes split, and shingles sawn. I've talked to some of those guys, but this job is to the size of being real work, and those guys just want to play.

Tom, I'd love to see your operation/process once you get it up and running. Totally new aspect of woodworking.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yeah, I know....another which bandsaw should I get, but hopefully this is a little bit different. We need to resaw 8,000 lineal feet of Cypress mostly 5" thick cuts to make shingles I can't get anywhere else. The saw may not ever be used again, or it might. The only bandsaw I have right now is an old Delta 14" with riser that someone gave me which has never even been plugged in here.

I'm leaning towards a 24" Grizzly, but also checking CL. There is a Hitachi resaw 75 listed on CL an hour and a half away, but the guy is not responding.

Opinions welcomed on saw and blade.
    Tom, have you considered finding a sawyer with a shingle making attachment for their sawmill? Woodmizer makes one and you might find someone within driving distance that can make the shingles a lot easier than you can with a vertical bandsaw.

I've seen that Woodmizer rig, but it would require a LOT of footsteps and handling. I'm getting the wood sawn into 4/4 boards. I bought a used Centauro 600 for the resaw. See post #27
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-31-2015 at 4:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Tom, I'd love to see your operation/process once you get it up and running. Totally new aspect of woodworking.
    It will be well documented with pictures, and movie of the shingle making on my website.

Tom: That machine should work great for the intended purpose. I added a fence to the stock iron fence of my CO700 and love the machine, previously had a slab of bb screwed to it and that worked great too. The machine can adequately tension a larger blade and that makes the cutting very smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I feel like it should do fine. Now that we've answered the saw question, the blade question still remains. It looks like to me that we are past the Resaw King stage now.

Tom, call Woodcraft Bands and ask for their recommendation.

Buy a froe. Split em by hand. Cheap, and good exercise. :-)
    Paul

I've done that, but it's not in the budget for this job.

I was looking at some band site last night, and decided I probably need to call. I didn't realize there were so many variables. Probably going with one of the Lennox carbide tipped blades, but quite a number of different decisions to make other than tooth count.