Thread: Elm Hollow Form - nothing fancy, just pretty wood

Elm Hollow Form - nothing fancy, just pretty wood

Grabbed a block of elm a while back to try out my Monster Articulated Hollower. Even when I wrapped it up in paper and set away on the shelf I didn't think much of it. When I remounted it on the lathe to finish I got to looking at the pretty knots and defects, decided on a oil finish. For just a practice piece of elm I was real surprised at the coloring and beauty the front side took on. The back side is kinda plain, and though the form isn't much to look at, I thought I would share some color and finish. Plus it was a nice change to get away from lacquer and try some new finishing.....oil.

Finish: Wet sanded with BLO, that brought out the nice coloring. More wet sanding the next day BLO/ Shellac mix x3 to fill grain. Finished that off with several coats of tung oil, polished with automotive polish compound, and finalized with Ren wax.

7 1/4 tall x 3 7/8 wide
    Thin enough to get nervous
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice piece of Elm Steve that you turned into a pretty HF, I have turned many pieces of Siberian Elm, and I’m always impressed what nice colors there are in this wood, foolproof in drying as well, and so what else do we need for a nice turning wood, well done 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Nice work, Steve! The character of the wood certainly is complimented by the wonderful finish. The form might deserve a tweak or two, but it is still a very nice piece. I agree with Leo on elm - great wood to turn.

John and Leo, thanks for looking and your thoughts. This is not something I would have normally posted, I just got overly excited and really shock about what I think was the BLO that brought out in the over all piece, something you more experienced turners I’m sure know all to well. When I turned some of the other elm into candle sticks, it was pretty porous and just not the most nicest looking wood. I guess if there’s one thing to be noted here, choose a finish wisely instead of just slapping lacquer and WOP on everything like I do.

Very nice, and a wise decision on the finish.
    I love the "knotty" look myself, even though most knots do want to crack in my opinion.

Looking good Steve. Thanks for the detail on the finish. Maybe I'll get out some of that Elm I've been storing.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks! Your right about that cracking Daryl.
    Yes Doug, I remember you said you had some elm when I offer you some before. I've seen some of Leo's work as well and I think worked properly with a proper finish it can be quite attractive.
    Hey, you still need to come down sometime and cut some cedar. I will be going after Aspen soon, and I have the brother in law hunting beetle kill now. Bring your airbrush too!

Very nice wood, work and finish.