Thread: Trying to build a box

Trying to build a box

have a large group of auger bits to stash...somewhere.
    drill bits.jpg
    threw some tools onto the bench, and made a few parts
    tool pile.jpg
    The boards standing up?
    dovetailed corners.jpg
    White Oak scraps. Made a few dovetails. Glued up a panel
    glue up.jpg
    Mostly 1/2" stuff. Got the rest of them dovetails made. Glue-up is sitting on the box's sides
    dovetailed corners.jpg
    Seemed the more I made, the better each set got. Made the tails first on the first corner...meh. Switched to pins first..much better
    stand up.jpg
    Laid out the bits, and a small inset piece
    auger bit layout.jpg
    Still have at least three others to place in there. Getting "Photo-Bombed" by a plane
    rebate plane.jpg
    Sold by wards, made by Stanley #78. Need it for some rebates in the bottom panel. Need to mill some grooves, too

Have a couple pieces of Curly-looking Maple to make a lid. They are now trimmed to length, edge jointed , and sitting in the clamps.

Taking a short breather right now ( COPD kicking in) but have one rebate cut. When breathing returns to normal, I might get the others milled.

This might take a few days to build....

Got the bottom panel all rebated out. added a bevel to the other side, and a test fit
    IMAG0240.jpg
    Test piece. Added a bevel on both faces. Tested things in a dry fit, no glue yet...
    IMAG0243.jpg
    Maybe after awhile, I might mosey down there and spread some Elmer's around. Then I can see about a way to store all of them bits...neatly. Have a lid, of sorts, sitting in the clamps, maybe tomorrow I can work on that.
    .IMAG0235.jpg
    COPD is causing some problems right now. Will be seeing the Pill-pushers Monday morning...more fun.

Leveled the lid this morning..
    .IMAG0233.jpg
    After sawing it close to square. Millers Falls No. 11 to straighten the sawn lines
    IMAG0236.jpg
    Added lid to the box, no hinges yet. Matching the lid to the sides of the box..
    IMAG0237.jpg
    Outside edges are to have a slight "Tumblehome" slope to them. White Oak box, meet Maple top.
    IMAG0238.jpg
    After a coat of BLO, to see what it will look like. Need to buy some hinges. Not sure about a latch just yet. Will install a "rack" for the auger bits to sit in....Might get this done sometime....

Might be a bit before this gets done..
    Lower back went out today...Still having breathing problems from the fire.

I managed to find some hinges, ans a latch. Will be trying a different way to house those bits so they don't rattle around.

Doctor's visits tomorrow, have to wait to see what they say....( beer didn't help, sitting on a heating pad just made me hotter) probbaly have to get more pills....

First coat of BLO soak down almost out of sight. Might take a few more coats....

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your back.

The rough and tumble youth we enjoyed seems to catch up with us as we age.

I was taking ibuprofen for mine until recently when something came up indicating it was associated with greater risk for strokes and heart attacks. I would rather have some aches and pains than a stroke or heart attack.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-17-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Better living through improved Chemistry" back is starting to settle back down. Got some supplies. made a couple "racks" to hold the bits in place..
    IMAG0242.jpg
    Added some mesh drawer liner, to pad the bits a bit..
    Hinges are Brass Plated
    IMAG0245.jpg
    And a brass latch for the front
    IMAG0243.jpg
    Second coat of BLO is on board. Must have gotten enough IN the hinges, as the lid will stay open on it's open
    IMAG0241.jpg
    Most of the bits fit in the box, still have a few "extras" sitting around. This should do for now, though....

Now posted in the projects forum...enjoy

Glad you're feeling better! Good looking box, too. What's next? You never seem to sit still, so I'm sure you're up to something new already.

Just reading over some plans for a Flag Display Case.....Wife has her Dad's Burial Flag. Needs a case built. Might take a week or two....

Nice box steven. Think the hinges might have looked a bit better if you let them into the wood so the barrel is the only thing exposed when the lid is closed. Not sure they were designed to be mounted in the manner you have there.

One more slight critique, I would recommend planning down the inside surfaces of the box sides before dovetailing. This helps all around and gives a much nicer appearance. It gives a nice flat surface to mark out dovetails and is much easier to see all your lines while cutting them. But this has to be done before cutting your dovetails otherwise you will end up with gaps if you finish plane the inside after. I would also recommend checking out a different finish, something like shellac just to keep it interesting for you. I love a BLO finish but there just isn't anything nicer than a well polished surface using shellac. Otherwise stephen keep up the solid work.

Re: hinges. wasn't quite enough wood to go the "normal way" with them. Sides are about 1/2" thick.

Faces of the boards were planed when i got them. I had two thicknesses to choose from, either this 1/2" thick white oak I used on the box, or the 7/8" thick oak I used on an enclosed end table.

Sides are planed to a slight "tumblehome", where they slope towards the inside. Even the lid is beveled that way. Lid is 3/4 Curly Maple. About the last of that I had in stock.

Had BLO on hand. Did not have any Shellac in the shop. The only budget in this box was for hardware. The mesh on the bottom was from a toolbox drawer.

IF funds come around for some shellac, I may try it again....sometime. Wasn't happy with it the last time I used it.

Re: gap in dovetails.....First corner that was done was tails first.....very sloppy. Went with pins first on the rest...no gaps. lesson learned.

Many years ago I picked up this box full of auger bits.Drill index.jpg

About the size of a cigar box, but it opens on both sides.
    Large sizes.jpg
    One side has the larger bits.
    Small Sizes.jpg
    The other the smaller bits.

No name, no makers marking, obviously hand made. One of my favorite finds.

I may have had to add some bits to complete the set, but it was years ago and I have plenty. Makes me miss Ohio yard sales and flea markets.

Dan Hulbert