Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicholson USA #10 rasps

Nicholson USA #10 rasps

Hey folks, I'm new here. I've been woodworking with the Brazil 49 & 50 rasps since they are available. They are okay. After a lot of searching, I acquired several USA rasps from an estate sale for $60. The old ones carve through the grain nicely, the Brazil rasps tear it. The difference is truly night and day.

There is a mint USA 49 and 50 in there (the 50 seems much older). There is also two USA #10s. I was wondering if anyone knew where 10 stands in comparison to the others? They cut smoother than a 49, but somehow remove material quicker. There are no teeth on the edges.

On the right is a USA "smooth" rasp which I thought might be the 53, but no number is on the tang to indicate this. And the two on the far left are much coarser rasps, again no # on tangs.

Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joe bonomo; 08-15-2015 at 3:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Joe,

Welcome to the Creek. I can not answer your question, but I can say that's a great find and the obligatory YOU SUCK! (BTW that's a good thing.)

Where do you call home? I am always curious to learn where other members live.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome, Joe.

Jim is right - you suck. [see below for the official version]

I have a USA 49, and one of the hit-the-lottery good 50's out of Brazil.

I never heard of a #10. Happy to buy your extra - you cannot use 2, dude. Share the wealth, dig?

You Suck - Bill Murray.jpg
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Love the welcoming! I'm over in Long Island, NY.
    I'm a guitar repair tech also finishing up some handmade instruments. I have a tool fetish hahah I'm not a collector tho, I use them.

im interested in acquiring the Aurio 7 and 9 cut rasps, and the herdim (10,000 teeth ultra) flat rasp in the coming months. When I do, I'll certainly consider letting a #10 go.

You'll love the auriou rasps..............I have 7, 9, 11........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Is the 11 equivalent to the 53? I'm super excited now hearing that.

On european rasps the higher the number the finer the cut. Check out one aurious numbering system. Maybe your 10s are from overseas.

Tom
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by joe bonomo View Post
    Is the 11 equivalent to the 53? I'm super excited now hearing that.
    I have no idea what a 53 acts like. TO be honest, I have only used the 7 and 9. The 9 leaves the wood in very good, smooth shape. You will find that these somehow do a faster and smoother job of cutting - both at the same time - even when the grain seems to be coarser. Simply a better product. I got the curved 11 here when it was available for an excellent deal - not used yet.

If you use the search function, somewhere in the past - I will guess 18 months? maybe more? You will find a thread started by John Coloccia, in which he compared different rasps. I seem to recall that there was one or two aurious, and a nicholson, and maybe some other brand also.

John does guitars, and I remember his comment about he only needed sandpaper when he had use the Auriou rasp. What I don't remember is which grain that was - wanna say the 9, but can't say for sure.

Maybe you can find it in the search, or maybe John will pop up here - haven't seen him in a while?????

Or - send him a PM - he's accessible to inquiries, as are all the rest of us. His info is accurate and valuable. Cannot say the same about Harold, tho - watch out there.

I'm going to check that thread out. Sounds like a good reference.

@ tom - my 10s are engraved USA on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use Aurious 9, 13, 15. The 9 is quite coarse.

I can also recommend Shinto saw rasps, which are coarse and fine on alternate sides.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The # 10 is a Last Makers Rasp - 10" Narrow Point Smooth. These are the same as Pattern Makers Rasps - except for the uncut edges (as you observed). In the glory days Nicholson had a total of 16 Last makers Rasps, 14 Last Makers files, and 20 Pattern Makers Rasps. The # 53 is a 12" Smooth Wide Point. The Smooth Rasp on the right is a Cabinet Rasp, pretty aggressive. The #49 is a 2nd cut 10" narrow point and coarser than a #10, the #50 should cut like a #10.

Good score.

Great info. I appreciate it.

I wouldn't mind trading a #10 for a mint condition Nicholson #53 if the opportunity ever arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I use Aurious 9, 13, 15. The 9 is quite coarse.
    It is all relative. The 9 is coarse compared to the others you list from Auriou. Not so in comparison to the Nicholson's the OP is talking about. Big difference.

So I'll probably go with an auriou 7,9 and 13 soon (All relative to 49,50 and 53)

I appreciate the info from everyone great stuff!

Cool.

Tell us what you think as you use and compare them. ALways looking for input, Joe.