Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any benefit in running my bandsaw on 220 instead of 110?

Any benefit in running my bandsaw on 220 instead of 110?

My Grizzly 0555 band saw is currently set up for 110. It has the option to run on 220v though. If I switched it over to 220v, could I run it off the same circuit my 220v table saw runs on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    My Grizzly 0555 band saw is currently set up for 110. It has the option to run on 220v though. If I switched it over to 220v, could I run it off the same circuit my 220v table saw runs on?
    Yes. Absolutely. That is what I do...and have done for the past several years. When I was hooking it all up I wondered if I should...then I thought about it...and realized that I would never be running both at the same time.

As far as whether or not to run it at 220 at all, well...it is my understanding that it is easier on the motor to run it at 220.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Mike

If it's for convenience, and simplifies your shop layout, put it on 220. It can be on the same circuit as your table saw. Just be mindful of which circuit has your dust collector on it. A dust collector is one of the machines that draws it fair share of amps right from the get go.

Electrically though, 120 or 240, the saw really won't see the difference. Amps are amps and how they get divided, as long as there are enough of them doesn't make much difference in a real world application to a conventional motor. As long as you have enough watts, you're fine
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-15-2015 at 6:30 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If you have the proper sized circuit, there is no difference to the motor running it at 120V or 240V - same power, same heat, same everything.

The advantage of keeping it at 120V is that if you rearrange your shop, you won't have to run a new 240V circuit.

But if you want to run it at 240V, go ahead. It won't make any difference.

Mike

[Just as an extra comment, if the motor is under 1.5HP it can easily be run on 120V (in general).]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ok, so that leads me to my next question:

I have a 100 watt bulb(work light) which shines on my bandsaw table. It is wired in at the switch, so when I switch the saw on, the light comes on. If I go to 220, what changes need to be made with that light setup? Also, do I need a whole new power wire from the bandsaw? I know I'll likely need a new plug.

I just texted my friends, who are commercial electricians, set power poles, are certified, own their own Company here, etc, and they both say go with the 220 cause first, less power consumption, the second is "potentially more torque, in the sense of not binding or dragging when cutting through knots or tough lumber..."

Hope that helps
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I just texted my friends, who are commercial electricians, set power poles, are certified, own their own Company here, etc, and they both say go with the 220 cause first, less power consumption, the second is "potentially more torque, in the sense of not binding or dragging when cutting through knots or tough lumber..."

Hope that helps
    Thank you for that!

Hope that helps
    Might all be true with 220, whatever that is; but certainly none of that is true with 240.

The motor basically has two halves. 120 runs them in parallel, and 240 runs them in series. The motor sees the same voltage and current either way. Voltage drop is less severe with 240, but that doesn't matter if you have used an adequate circuit.

You could continue to use your 120v light if your circuit included a neutral, but otherwise you will either have to change it to 240 or put it on a different circuit. You could control the second circuit with a relay on the saw circuit; but that is a project.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 08-15-2015 at 7:40 PM.

Hope that helps
    I'm not an electrician, but I think this advice is incorrect. I don't think the motor can deliver more torque when energized at 240v than when energized at 120v. The amps are of course 1/2, but that's it. Can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-22-2015 at 1:45 AM.

Hope that helps
    Sorry, not true.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What is this talk about 220? Is there confusion out there or are states that supply 110 to residential.My panel has alway measured 119 on each side of the panel sometimes a bit more depending on my neighbor with thier pool pumps going.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    What is this talk about 220? Is there confusion out there or are states that supply 110 to residential.My panel has alway measured 119 on each side of the panel sometimes a bit more depending on my neighbor with thier pool pumps going.
    I'm fairly certain that 220 is synonymous with 230 and 240. I just say 220 because lots of folks do. Pretty sure it's all the same thing though.

I just texted my friends, who are commercial electricians, set power poles, are certified, own their own Company here, etc, and they both say go with the 220 cause first, less power consumption, the second is "potentially more torque, in the sense of not binding or dragging when cutting through knots or tough lumber..."Hope that helps
    Sorry, not true. Motor doesn't know the difference. The only real difference is that it can take a smaller wire to feed the saw.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Andrew

They are just colloquial expressions. US residential electrical is ~ 120 vac, and ~ 240 vac. I've been putting power to the grid for thirty years now.

Mike

In a real world environment, there is no real difference between 120 and 240. In an academic environment, as a test question, there is merit to the argument. Off of the exam paper, in a real world application, there isn't any real benefit one way, or the other.

To wire the light to turn on and off with the switch is very doable if you elect to go with 240. It will take a different switch setup and return for the 120.
    Yes, you will probably need a new power cord. The one you have is more than likely undersized for the application.

Honestly my friend, you're better off just leaving the machine as is.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-15-2015 at 9:09 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks Mike C for the clarification that's what I thought, I remember when my folks used to tell me don't believe everthing you hear on the Tv.Now that's applys to the Internet.So much information I bet only half is right half the time.