Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea Mkt tools today

Flea Mkt tools today

My first Flea Market purchases:

The first, older drawknife below is for debarking logs. The trademark stamp I cant ID, and is below. The hatchet is similar to ones I've seen used in green ww, am not sure what that style of head is. The hatchet is a Vaughn.

My question I about replacing the handles on the drawknife and hatchet. (I think Mike H has foreseen this coming, though, and has already PM me about some wood secured for same handles even before he knew about these purchases.)

Hatchet has several nails to wedge the head on it, and both handles on the drawknife are loose.

DSCN0544.JPG

The next is the Greenlee. The edge is good and nick-free, with plenty of iron left; it is sharp as it is. Handles are tight.

DSCN0543.JPG

The stamp on the first, older drawknife. Is it noteworthy?

DSCN0546.JPG

Hatchet-very readable

DSCN0540.JPG

Yes, it's pretty loose:

DSCN0545.JPG
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

The Vaughn hatchet is like my Plumb,which I have been advocating.

That Greenlee drawknife is a nice one. Good head on the hatchet too. Our local Ace has a good assortment of handles. I don't have time for making such, but it would be nice for those that do. For a hatchet handle, I like a flair on the end so you don't have to grip so hard.

What you are calling a hatchet, is really a roofers hammer that's why the head is shaped the way it is.
    Len

Your older drawknife's etch is "L. & I.J. White • 1837 • Buffalo NY" -- a firm, whose edge tools were the equal of any.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That Greenlee drawknife is a nice one. Good head on the hatchet too. Our local Ace has a good assortment of handles. I don't have time for making such, but it would be nice for those that do. For a hatchet handle, I like a flair on the end so you don't have to grip so hard.
    Great idea.

But that would be ironic for me to not use the newly crafted shavehorse, and all the handtools and make it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    What you are calling a hatchet, is really a roofers hammer that's why the head is shaped the way it is.
    Len
    Roofing is too hard of work.

I bought that one cause seems like the blade coming down closer to the hand gives an ergonomic advantage?

Google images on ax head styles:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Your older drawknife's etch is "L. & I.J. White • 1837 • Buffalo NY" -- a firm, whose edge tools were the equal of any.
    Thanks Joe. Always nice to have good tools
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Tim Manney has a 4 part tutorial on his blog about shaping the head of a flea market hatchet to turn it into a carving axe/hatchet and making and fitting a handle.

http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot....ng+carving+axe

I try my best to stay off of roofs!! I do know a shingling (shingle?) hatchet,at least. What purpose would this one serve on a roof?

Whatever it is,it makes a good shop hatchet.

Cedar shingles? It looks to have a nail puller notch, the head fro driving nails and the hatchet for splitting shingles to size

Looks like they still make that one too: http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-22-Oun...C6JPJVVFTEYC3C

Vaughn calls it a "carpenters half hatchet", so I guess that's the correct name.

And a slightly different version, all with their own names: http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-28-Oun...16VM9R639V7MA6

Hi David,
    I have a similarly-aged drawknife and it has both handles (appear to be original and tiger maple) shaped like the one on the right in your picture, so that may be original to the tool. Mine has hefty thick square tangs, as I believe yours are, so I don't think you could just drill a round hole close to the final dimension and whack/ burn the handle on; judging from the fit on mine, the holes were cut square with a chisel, at least on the end closer to the blade where the tang is about 3/8 square and the handle is tapered so there's only about 3/8 thickness of wood surrounding it. If the hole were round, I think the handle would have split. The thin end of the tang is hammered almost flat, so it could have been hammered through a small round hole- then the tip was bent at 90 degrees and the whole end hammered over and into the end of the wood, like a clench nail. I've seen plenty of older drawknives with no washer or other metal button on the end of the handles, so this was a common way of attaching them. That handle on the left is some sort of chisel or other tool handle just pressed into service, as I'm sure you figured out. I think you could remove that handle, heat the end of the tang red and hammer it back straight before repeating the original process. If you want to make matching replacement handles, I recommend you split the other old handle to remove it, then heat and reform the end; if you try to straighten the tang with the handle on, it'll probably just snap off. George may have some insight on this process, as the style is just after his "period".

Incidentally, the knife looks twisted in the pic - is that how it is, or is that just a trick of the camera?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    Hi David,
    Incidentally, the knife looks twisted in the pic - is that how it is, or is that just a trick of the camera?
    Karl
    It's twisted.

Chisel handle? I had not considered that.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Len
    I don't believe it is, Len. I've got a couple of roofer's hatchets, and they're distinguished by having an edge sharpened along the bottom edge (toward your hand) as well as along the traditional edge, for shaving or scribing shingles. The examples I've seen all had narrower blades, too. The fancy ones are "gauging hatchets," with a little knurled bolt/knurled nut that goes into holes along the top edge to set the exposure of the shingles. A gauging shingling hatchet is by far the fastest hand way to do shingles: get your starter course straight, then gauge every successive course off that initial straight line. The hatchet edge allows for quick trimming of shingles or scribing of composition shingles, and the hammer side will drive a roofing nail right quick. You just have to remember to turn the tool around for hammering...

The Vaughan is, as others have commented, a half hatchet (no idea of the name origin, unless it refers to the straight line along the top, implying that a whole hatchet would be curved along top and bottom edges both). It's been my understanding that it was traditionally used in rough carpentry.