Thread: Supersize My Combination Square

Supersize My Combination Square

I've been looking for a Starrett H-8 combination square for a long time. Recently, I found used one at a decent price.

Starrett-H8.jpg

That's a standard 12" combination square in the picture to show the size of the Starrett H-8. The H-8 has a 24" rule and the head is maybe 8" (I didn't measure it).

While you can get longer rules for the standard combination square heads, the size of the head limits the usefulness of those long rules.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along the picture for those people who have never seen an H-8.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice find! I have a weakness for Starrett. The head alone costs between US$175-215 new, depending upon the dealer. Again, nice find.

Thanks Mike, I've never seen one of those before. I'd like to get a large square at some point.

Thanks Mike. Can you tell us where you bought it?

I didn't realise they came that large Mike. They must be quite expensive new - or have been since the numbers made would probably have been lower...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks Mike. Can you tell us where you bought it?
    I bough it in two purchases on eBay - one purchase for the head and one for the rule - separated by several months in time. I had saved a search for "Starrett large combination square" (I believe that's what it was) and waited for a long time - it's been much more than a year. They don't seem to come up very often. I paid over $60 just for the rule.

They're available new from Starrett but pretty expensive.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-16-2015 at 7:02 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just noticed an H-8 on eBay, listed as Buy it Now for $90, in case anyone is interested in a used one. Not great shape but not terrible.

Item 331634726781

Mike

In all my years in machine shops I've never seen one of those.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I knew they existed just from looking at the catalog, but that is the only one I've ever seen. Congratulations on luck and persistence.

10. Nice grab Mike. I'd not heard of that model either. I recently found a Mitutoyo 916-410 precision engineers square (40" x 20", .001 square) on the bay for less than the cost of a Woodpeckers 24"x16" framing square. It should come in handy for squaring up the slider or when using the tracksaw. It's amazing what outstanding tools can be found with some patience.