Thread: protecting router bits with strippable plastic (Stripcoat?)

Blog Entries

protecting router bits with strippable plastic (Stripcoat?)

I got a brick of some sort of strippable plastic some years ago. I bought a Fry Baby at the thrift store and messed with the thermostat a bit.

I'm about to move and will have to put my shop into storage for about a year. I will be using what they call Climate controlled storage but I don't want to take chances if I don't have to.

I thought it would be a good idea to coat all my router bits. I don't know which type of coating I got. I want the stuff that leaves a little oil film. Is there away to tell? I coated a bit this morning and didn't see anything.

Is there any harm in putting a bit of 30 weight on the bit before I dip it?

Probably won't stick with oil on them.
    You coated a bit, and didn't see anything. What does that mean?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Probably won't stick with oil on them.
    You coated a bit, and didn't see anything. What does that mean?
    Sorry. I heated up some of the stuff and dipped one router bit that I made sure was degreased. I let it cool and stripped it off and didn't see any grease. I know there are three 'classes' of this stuff and I'm guessing some one of the classes provides some sort of oil coating. My test suggests that the stuff I have doesn't do that.

Roger

We use some green and blue colored dip at work but I don't know if they add oil to it. I could find out tomorrow if you'd like.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. I used a glue brush to paint some oil on each bit and dipped them all this evening. Tomorrow, I'm going to a thrift store to find a small fry pan and coat my saw blades.

As my wife put it, I dipped my bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I'm about to move and will have to put my shop into storage for about a year. I will be using what they call Climate controlled storage but I don't want to take chances if I don't have to.
    Not sure what the storage facility is like, but if it has plumbing or a way to run a hose to the outside, I would consider a dehumidifier.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Why are you doing that? I have had some specialty carbide bits for 30 years and they still cut just fine without anything done to them other than an occasional cleaning with solvent and a copper wire brush. They are stored in a box in a shop that is unheated and uncooled except when I am working there. What you are working on is a solution without a problem. They come from the manufacturer with a coating on them so the edge won't get damaged during handling and shipment.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 08-17-2015 at 10:39 AM.

003 (640x480).jpgI keep all my small tools in these Stanley toolboxes. They come in two sizes. 20" ones are 20 bucks, and 26" ones 30. Lowes has both sizes. Walmart carries the small ones. I tested the waterproofing with a pressure washer before I started accumulating the few over a hundred that I have now. They are waterproof. My router bits have been in one for some years, with nothing more than a mist of CRC 3.36 once in a rare while, and a silica gel canister. I've had no rust on any tools since going to this system, and that includes carrying some in the back of a pickup in the rain.

http://www.toolbarn.com/stanley-0280...ad=60682794974 All are labeled and in cubbies. Some tools they contain don't get used for years, but are ready to go when I need to call on them.