Thread: I discovered magic

I discovered magic

Drill, then chop. It's a thing of beauty!

Had to make some 3" mortises 1 1/2" deep today. Chopped the first one, then looked over at the bit and brace hanging on the wall. Never tried that, so I gave it a shot. Got the other three done in the time it took to do the first one. Felt bad because I was also eyeing the power mortiser.
    The trick to being good with a plane is being bad with a saw.

And then there is a voice in the background whispering just get the Domino

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    That's voice of the devil.

Blog Entries
    I am still on the fence about using a drill to aid in chopping mortises.

If the mortise is big enough to leave enough wood behind to guide the chisel instead of the drilled hole guiding the chisel it seem to work well for me.

On a recent mallet head this did seem to speed up the process. Of course, mistakes were made and then rectified, but that is beside the point.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Totally, but I have resisted so far. It is probably loud as a router and another thing to tinker with. I sort of like the simplicity of the chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    That's voice of the devil.

Blog Entries
    I like this method, I use it pretty much exclusively.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    If it sounds anything like a router, I will pass. Can't stand the sound of a router, even mute the TV when someone uses one there. Actually, that is one of the reasons for my neanderthal leanings. Table saw always scared me and router drives through my head like a nail. Although, you will probably have to pull my planer and bandsaw from my cold dead hands.
    The trick to being good with a plane is being bad with a saw.

I abandoned the bore and chisel method decades ago because I felt that the results were faster and neater with chisel alone. How long does it take to make the mortise with your present method?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Skinner View Post
    If it sounds anything like a router, I will pass. Can't stand the sound of a router, even mute the TV when someone uses one there. Actually, that is one of the reasons for my neanderthal leanings. Table saw always scared me and router drives through my head like a nail. Although, you will probably have to pull my planer and bandsaw from my cold dead hands.
    The noise of my hollow mortisers is way worse than a router... the metal on metal of the central auger tends to create a high pitch squeal.