Thread: Hutch

Hutch

We wanted something lighter in feeling than a typical hutch and designed this one with the open base. It is built from lacquered sapele and high gloss black on hard maple. The hutch is 75 inches tall and sits in a breakfast nook with an 11 foot ceiling. Perhaps a bit too much Ethan Allen for this group, but I invite your critiques.IMG_1524.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    Perhaps a bit too much Ethan Allen for this group,
    Not for me. That piece has a wonderfully light feel to it. The lower shelf almost seems to float. The contrast of the sapele grounds the piece to the wall as opposed to the floor as many designs do.

It is true I favor heavier looks for floor standing pieces of my own design but, I was very fortunate to be raised by parents that taught us the beauty and interest of many styles. The choice of white display pieces contrasts well with the black for a striking image. Very nice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree with Glenn. That is a beautiful piece of work.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think it looks great. Thanks for the photo. Very cool.

Now - let me try to steal some of your knowledge, if I may:

1. Details on the black finish? Never did it, unclear on how to get there..........
    2. The joinery on the lower shelf into the 4 legs - how does that work, and are there any expansion issues you had to address??
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Very nice, that spell back is beautiful.

Thanks all for the positive comments. I was expecting something more like the "out of place" reaction to Norm Abrams appearance on the cover of Fine Woodworking Magazine so many years ago.

Kent,

1) A bit of a long story. At the suggestion of John TenEyck in the Finishing forum I ordered General Finishes Black Poly, and their suggested primer. Before it shipped the primer was obsoleted, and I only received the Black Poly. I tried various primers, and spraying techniques for both the primer and the finish, but was never able to get it right. Possibly our hot, dry climate with a water based finish had something to do with it. Also I have very little spraying experience.

At the suggestion of Home Depot I tried Rust-Oleum high gloss black on some scrap, and it worked. This stuff is oil based and you can recoat every 15 minutes. This basically allowed me to do the black in three/four coats, but all in one sitting. Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Paint + Primer. I know this sounds like a Norm approach to a fine woodworking problem, but it looks good now, and hopefully it will continue to do so. The hard maple was sanded to 220 prior to finishing.

2) The lower shelf joinery is simple. Angled notches in the legs, and mating 45 degree angles on the shelf corners. One pocket hole screw angled up from below into each leg.

I cut the shelf 1/8 inch narrow so the legs each have a 1/16 inch toe in. In our dry climate I am not expecting much movement across the shelf. and even in a normal climate the most might be from 1/16 inch toe in to 1/16 inch toe out. The toe in is not noticeable and it did not seem like much of a strain on the joinery. Time will tell.

It may not be my style, but it sure makes a statement,,quite a wonderful piece. The black/sapele combo is striking. Wonderful job..enjoy it for many years
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Look great Rich.

My first thought upon seeing the light reflection in the high gloss black was "Asian", but the piece itself does not convey that. I have always liked a combination of paint and non-painted woods in a piece. I think you hit it right in this piece.

Good job!

That's a fine piece of furniture and I love the Sapele with the black lacquer. Quality craftsmanship is appreciated no matter the style.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    I think it is a great looking piece of fine furniture.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

As Glenn stated "That piece has a wonderfully light feel to it. The lower shelf almost seems to float. The contrast of the sapele grounds the piece to the wall as opposed to the floor as many designs".

You have created a beautiful piece of furniture. Rather than a heavy piece, it exudes a refreshingly light taste that is very appealing. Your wife must be very happy & proud to show it off. I suspect you may have a sudden increase in visitors in the near future to view your accomplishment.

Sorry the GF products didn't work out for you Rich. You might be right about your local environment, and that's why they sell an extender to increase the open time. But your solution with the Rustoleum looks really good, as does the piece. Congratulations.

John