Thread: Diamond shaped parting tools

Diamond shaped parting tools

I am looking for a brand name for a "go-to" diamond profile parting tool, I have a couple of PSI Benjamin's Best but have a problem with them. No knock on PSI tools in general, I've had great success with them as utility tools that I regrind to my shapes. I don't use a parting tool a lot, I usually make tenons and such with the Bedan or a skew chisel, and I cut off with a skew or my thin fluted parting tool - but I'd like one good utility diamond parting tool of about 3/16" or 1/4".

The problem with my BBs is that the edges (top and bottom) are not perfectly parallel, nor perfectly aligned with the high points (sides) of the diamond. That makes sharpening a pain in the butt. I'd like to have a parting tool that I can lay flat on its top and bottom edges on my tool rest and get a grind that has the end points at the wide points of the diamond. I know how to get around it, but it would be nice ot have one I don't have to fuss with. Does anyone know a brand that is consistent in its shape?

I have a Sorby that I think fits your profile. It's very consistent and accurately ground.

Consider getting the Artisan branded diamond parting tool from Craft Supplies USA. Artisan is CSUSA's house brand and is made by Henry Taylor in the UK. CSUSA also carries the Hamlet line of tools, which is still less expensive. Here's a link to the Artisan parting tool: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...d-Parting-Tool

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Suggest you consider either Mike Thompson's tools or D-Way's, I have a couple and the quality of the metal is supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    Suggest you consider either Mike Thompson's tools or D-Way's, I have a couple and the quality of the metal is supreme.
    I agree both (Doug) Thompson Lathe Tools and D-Way Tools lathe tools are outstanding. Both offer parting tools, but neither appear to be diamond shaped. (Thompson doesn't have a picture, but the words don't mention diamond shaped section.)

I have a Sorby Diamond 3/16" Parting Tool I got on sale. I'm sort of ambivalent about it. It does the job, I'm happy with it, but I'm not sold and would probably go for whatever is on sale when I need to replace it.

OP, since you don't use it much maybe you should check what Windriver has. I used (an older model) of one of theirs in a class once and it worked well too.

The parting tool from D Way is tapered, so wider on the top and narrower on the bottom. You probably still need to make a kerf and a half cut if you are going deep, but probably one of the better ones made. Not sure about Doug's parting tool. I have many tools from both guys.

robo hippy

I've got the Woodriver version. Pretty sure it came with a lathe I bought years ago and the tools came with it.

works just fine: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/145...ting-Tool.aspx

they also have a 1/8" version

Pinnacle has a 3/16" cryo if you're into that: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/148...ting-Tool.aspx

Packard also carries a diamond parting tool in their house line (which I believe is made by Hamlet) as well as the Sorby and others. A good place to comparison shop..
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I recently reviewed available parting tools ... I too have a BB parting tool that I've used for 6 years. Reason to get another ... want a smaller kerf and want a robust tool that holds its edge. Narrowed my search down to either the Thompson or the D-way parting tools; both are unhandled. I have some D-way tools and some Thompson tools and find them all to be quite nice and durable. Finally opted for and ordered the D-way parting tool because it is a bit narrower than the Thompson while still providing good wear resistance and edge-holding. Plus I already have a couple of the D-way removable handles that are comfortable to me so I don't need to buy or make another handle. The D-way has a tang to fit handles with 1/2 inch diameter shaft holes; the Thompson is made from a 1/2 inch diameter solid steel blank. Dave from D-way shipped the tool Monday so I'll begin using it later this week.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Hartranft; 08-18-2015 at 1:38 PM.

Love the D-Way parting tool.