Thread: Morning Encounter

Blog Entries

Morning Encounter

There was a little surprise when our cat, Skittles, was let out this morning. The usual routine is to let him out and put some food in the bowls on the porch for him and the outside cat. This morning we startled a deer in the yard. It kind of jumped and took a few steps away. I just pretended to ignore it. After putting out food for the cats I stepped back inside to watch. Skittles saw the deer and took a little interest. I thought he was going to walk up and sniff it. The deer took some interest in Skittles. I went and got the camera.

Skittles & the Deer 3.jpg

The picture was taken through our screen door so they it is a bit soft focus. It was amazing how long the deer stayed around. Skittles is the gray blob in the lower right corner.

Turner, the outside cat, just walked by it all and set on the porch and ate her breakfast.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-17-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good job, Skittles: Hold your ground, give him the evil eye. Crouch in readiness for a pounce. They get the message.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Cue the sountrack from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

I saw our cat, Sandy did the same thing one morning last year. She jumped off the back deck and put the running stalk on a big doe in the back year. She got within about 20 feet when the doe jerked her head up on full alert, Sandy frozen in her tracks. They had about a ten minute head bobbing stand off. I guess it was practice stalk for Sandy, don't know what she thought she could do with the doe after capture. Kinda like a dog catching a car. Deer are very curious animals.
    Last edited by julian abram; 08-18-2015 at 7:06 PM.

put some small apples in a bowl for the deer, never can tell