Thread: a stripping job

a stripping job

Back when I had been in business for a few years and this would be 1977; I got this job working on the restoration of the factor's residence at the Hudson's Bay Co. post at Ft. St James, B.C. and I was living in Pr.George. this was the kind of job where you learn a little patience.

ron

here is a
    bit of what they are doing on the inside

here was some of the boards that I was stripping and was working up in the attic space. I had brought 3 45 gal barrels of gel stripper for this job. if I can remember this must have been sept and it was starting to get cold and the breeze just blew in off Stuart Lake. sort of slows the process down a little.

ron

here is me working on the ceiling. rain gear was not the ideal thing to be using, but you use what was available. this was a slow process. Lots of old paint.

good thing that it was getting cool as there were not to many flies or mosquitoes around to catch with my mouth open. they have dandy mosquitoes there.

ron

this building is where some of the freighters stayed . My grandfather on my mother's side would have stayed in this building in the period of 1897-98. This is what the supt. there at the time I was there told me. He was a Welshman who had risen to the rank of Captain in the old imperial army and had done 18 years in India, 1880-90s and came to Canada. somehow he ended up hauling freight by oxen from Ashcroft,B.C.(closest railhead then) up the Blackwater to Ft. St. James

and of course there is always a Chesapeake Bay Retriever around. he was out in the lake for a swim

ron