Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own the Veritas Inlay Tool? Thoughts?

Does anyone own the Veritas Inlay Tool? Thoughts?

I'm looking at starting stringing and banding and am having a hard time acquiring the tools. I know I could build them. I've looked into that. Frankly, the Vertias system is around $130 for what I would want. I think I could build the tools for around $100 ($60 of that is cutters from LN). So for $30 I would rather just have Veritas do the work for me. : )

However, I cant seem to find any reviews for this product that weren't from a magazine. I'm kind of skeptical of those. I'd rather have a Creeker let me know.

Blog Entries
    I have it and like it. But I have built my own cutters / used the Veritas / used the router plane / cut with a knife. Cutting stringing at a close parallel to an edge is pretty easy. When it comes to curves, elements far in on a panel, or on undulating surfaces, that is more difficult. Are you most challenged by cutting the grooves, cutting the stringing or thicknessing the stringing?

Perhaps if we knew your project, we could offer better advice.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Hi Eric. I am also interested in hearing feedback on this subject matter. I am looking at the LN range of Inlay Tools. https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4082/inlay-tools

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I have it and like it. But I have built my own cutters / used the Veritas / used the router plane / cut with a knife. Cutting stringing at a close parallel to an edge is pretty easy. When it comes to curves, elements far in on a panel, or on undulating surfaces, that is more difficult. Are you most challenged by cutting the grooves, cutting the stringing or thicknessing the stringing?

Perhaps if we knew your project, we could offer better advice.
    No specific application yet. I know it will make it on drawer fronts, box tops, probably do some fed legs and things like that.

I am not really worried about the process. I figure I can cut stringing using a straight edge and an exacto. Seems ridiculous to buy a tool for that. I'm more worried about the straight line cutter and the radius cutter. (Both the same tools with different blades on the Veritas).

Shawn, do you think that the Veritas works well for these applications? As mentioned in the first post, I'm debating on making the tools but at $130 you can't compete very well with home made stuff. I am firmly in the camp that I could make the LN tools for WAY cheaper than they want for them.

Blog Entries
    I have the inlay cutter head for the router plane and I love it .I plan to get the inlay tool very soon. The fact that it has a pencil holder for making a compass adds to the versatility.

I have the veritas Inlay radius and straight cutting tools and there okay. they work, but i find that cutters are good at scoring lines but not removing the waste. The cutters are designed with a sort of v groove cut into them so it has to points on either side but the space is so narrow that it easily clogs up. I think LN's version based on steve lattas cutter which is shaped more like a saw tooth is a much better design. I do alot of inlay and honestly i just use a scraper in my stanley beading tool ground to the size of the groove i want. This works perfectly for anything parallel to an edge, straight or curved. doing radius's and circles i reach for the inlay tool, and other times i just use templates and exacto with a router plane. they are well made tools however, as is most stuff from lee valley. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ronald mccormack View Post
    I have the veritas Inlay radius and straight cutting tools and there okay. they work, but i find that cutters are good at scoring lines but not removing the waste. The cutters are designed with a sort of v groove cut into them so it has to points on either side but the space is so narrow that it easily clogs up.
    I bought the LN set. With the LV set, I was concerned about having to chisel-out that v-groove (seemed like an additional step) and with how well the tool cuts across the grain (critical for a couple upcoming projects). I'd appreciate hearing whether those of you who own the LV set actually experience these.

DISCLAIMER: LV is always my first choice for hand tools. I'm not knocking them. This time, I was just more comfortable with LN's offering.

Blog Entries
    The Veritas tool works well for most things -straight and regular curves. Irregular or very large curves are not something you can do with any of the purchased tools. I especially like the cut on the outer edge on the Veritas. I use either a modified dental pick or the homemade scraper cutter to clean out the bottom (make it flat).
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Howdy all,

Any additional thoughts on the LV or LN inlay tools? I'm most interested in making ~1-5" radius cuts.

Thanks,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Ulmia used to make an excellent inlay tool that appears from time to time on that big online auction site. They're good for both cutting inlay from, say, veneers, then cutting the groove in your workpiece by reversing the bevels of the knives; there's a tiny chisel cutter that follows the groove cutters to remove the waste. Slick tool.

I have the LN version and have had excellent results. I really enjoy using the LN tools. Here is a previous post detailing the process for my first attempt.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ng-Inlay-Tools

As you can see, you can get pretty good results from the get-go.

I have bought the LV free-hand inlay cutter with the blade size closest to the LN inlay cutter. (i.e., the LV item that looks kind of like an xacto or striking knife).

You can always buy the blades from LN to make your own cutter. The blades for both the radius cutter and straight-line cutter are slightly different. Both are excellent at removing the material for the inlay stringing.

My post also shows how to make a "bridge" for lack of a better term, for making tighter radii than the radius cutter normally allows.

I would highly recommend Steve Latta's DVD from LN to get a great tutorial on string and berry inlay. The LN inlay tools are based on Steve Latta's tools that he uses in the DVD. Steve gives some pretty stellar points that you might otherwise not know about until something goes wrong (for example how to prevent groove tear out when crossing another groove. You fill in a groove before you ever cross it with another groove.)

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I had to re-read the above a few times....still sounds an awful lot like just a sales pitch....

Frank-thanks for letting me know about the ulmia tool, didn't know about that option.

Allen, thanks for the review of the LN tool and DVD. And that's a good tip. Also, I remember that thread and still think it was a very cool piece.

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I had to re-read the above a few times....still sounds an awful lot like just a sales pitch....
    I hadn't realized but it does sound a bit like a sales pitch! I assure you I have no affiliation with either LN or LV - other than spending enough money at both paces for them to list me as an asset on their financial statements

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Blog Entries
    I used the Veritas inlay tools in constructing the stringing inlay on my double spice cabinet. They worked very well, although I had some learning experiences...

In using the compass, make sure to set the point and check that you are still in the correct spot -- while it isn't "easy" for the compass to drift, if you aren't paying attention, it can happen.

I didn't have issues with the v in the groove. I did buy the hand chisels as well and did use them to clean things up.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with them.

Mike_DSC8997.jpg