Thread: Do I need to do anything-BS blade?

Do I need to do anything-BS blade?

This AM before I fired up the BS, during pre-flight check, I observed the adherent wood dust. You can see where I scraped it off with finger nail. as you might guess, it will not just brush off. has to be scraped. Tedious work.

There is very little dust sticking to the tire.

Is it OK to leave it? The band runs fine, as expected. Works well w/o any vibration, noise, odd odors, etc

DSCN0549.JPG

this Is the bottom wheel. Is there some kinda problem here, in that the brush is not doing it's job?

As you can see, I have never fiddled with the bottom brush.

Do I need to do anything, or can I proceed in ignorance of BS upkeep?

DSCN0553.JPG
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    I noticed the same thing on my band saw and added a second brush right where your first picture was taken. The brush on the lower wheel cleans the wheel, but does nothing for the sawdust one the blade, which keeps getting pressed onto the blade by the wheels.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What type of lumber were you cutting? If it's some type of evergreen [pine etc] it's pretty normal to get a buildup on the blade. If that's the case run a scrap piece of hard wood through it and it should "self clean."

That's too much for my liking,As Daryl mentioned pitch does the same to my blades,If it gets too much the blades dull faster because too much heat at the tips.Looks like you have a Rk blade variable pitch? If so careful about resawing green wood or Dougfir from the Borg,It kill carbide bandsaw blades fast.Hope this you Captin.

Will a crepe block (usually used to clean sanding belts/disks) not do the job?
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I noticed the same thing on my band saw and added a second brush right where your first picture was taken. The brush on the lower wheel cleans the wheel, but does nothing for the sawdust one the blade, which keeps getting pressed onto the blade by the wheels.
    What is easiest/best way to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    What type of lumber were you cutting? If it's some type of evergreen [pine etc] it's pretty normal to get a buildup on the blade. If that's the case run a scrap piece of hard wood through it and it should "self clean."
    Just hardwood. Walnut, maple, mahogany, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That's too much for my liking,As Daryl mentioned pitch does the same to my blades,If it gets too much the blades dull faster because too much heat at the tips.Looks like you have a Rk blade variable pitch? If so careful about resawing green wood or Dougfir from the Borg,It kill carbide bandsaw blades fast.Hope this you Captin.
    Yep about the RK-you know your blades.

No green wood or Borg in past on this machine-all that stuff on TS.....will be sure to keep it that way.

I was just thinking that I was going to run through some green WO logs I got via generosity of Mike H a couple of weeks ago, but I used my recip saw outside.

Will run some hardwood through tomorrow and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    Will a crepe block (usually used to clean sanding belts/disks) not do the job?
    Huh?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I use 90% isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol to clean the pitch residue off my planer rollers and it is highly effective and evaporates almost instantly. I suggest you use the same stuff and a shop towel to remove the residue off your blade.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post

Just hardwood. Walnut, maple, mahogany, etc.

Yep about the RK-you know your blades.

No green wood or Borg in past on this machine-all that stuff on TS.....will be sure to keep it that way.

I was just thinking that I was going to run through some green WO logs I got via generosity of Mike H a couple of weeks ago, but I used my recip saw outside.

Will run some hardwood through tomorrow and see what happens.

Huh?
    This -http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=20192&cat=1,42500

I don`t know if it`ll work, I`ll try it later today and let you know.

Blog Entries
    I had some material on hand that I could make a wiper brush out of. For you, order a replacement brush for the one that is installed and then mount it so it brushes the inside of the blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I tried the Lee Valley link-the crepe block-that worked pretty good.

The best thing was the alcohol--wound up soaking a paper towel or two, got everything off super easy-took several flips of towel, and plenty of alcohol, but was breeze. Even got the junk outa the gullets.

Just ran some of this Jatoba, or whatever it is-through, and everything is cool, super clean; works like a champ

My question about mounting the extra brush-was in regards to where. I guess that's a "find your own path" deal. That's cool. I just loathe putting holes in things. Maybe some of this 3M super adhesive bumper tape will do it. It's the same stuff the engineers to stick the panels on that huge hotel in Dubai. Also bumpers on cars.

DSCN0554.JPG

Enough of the messing around. Time to make more sawdust.
    David

My question about mounting the extra brush-was in regards to where. I guess that's a "find your own path" deal. That's cool. I just loathe putting holes in things. Maybe some of this 3M super adhesive bumper tape will do it. It's the same stuff the engineers to stick the panels on that huge hotel in Dubai. Also bumpers on cars.
    I think I'd try an identical brush to the one you have, mounted about 2" where that one is but turned around and facing the blade. But I wouldn't try adhesive because if the adhesive lets go, you're going to have a brush between your blade and wheel which will instantly snap your band.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think I'd try an identical brush to the one you have, mounted about 2" where that one is but turned around and facing the blade. But I wouldn't try adhesive because if the adhesive lets go, you're going to have a brush between your blade and wheel which will instantly snap your band.
    Oops......absolutely correct! A major rookie mistake avoided
    David