Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about granite

Question about granite

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a supplier of white / grey granite to use for lasering a headstone for a client. They want an 18"x18"x2" block, polished.

Anybody have a supplier they could hook me up with? Also anything to consider when lasering granite? I know most people do black, but they requested white, which I thought might not show enough contrast.

Thanks!
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Blog Entries
    Find the closest granite house (they typically offer kitchen counters and more) in the area... I know there are several just outside the beltway, particularly north and northeast. 2" isn't quite standard, but they should have no issue getting something in that size... but if you only want one piece, they may gouge you, so be prepared. Be aware, you won't get any depth on granite with the laser, and that piece will likely be way too heavy to sit inside on your system's bed, anyway.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Unless you are going to laser and sandblast it, the results will be worthless. Lasering and granite (any stone really) don't mix, especially when you are going to put it outside. You can get great results lasering black marble, but again, it's not meant to go outside.

I'd suggest looking into buying black granite and engraving it edge to edge. If you process the artwork properly, you'll get a stone that looks white/grey with black accents. It's at least worth a shot. Go to Lowes/HD and buy a 12x12 black granite tile and give it a shot. It's a cheap investment.

The alternative is engraving grey/white granite and color filling. I think you'll find the laser not quite the right tool to use.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

If it is imperative to use laser engraving, you're best bet will be to mask the piece and paint the result. In the past, I have done this by vector cutting the mask for each character, weed the mask (i.e. remove the cut letters), raster the letter fill to get a nice rough surface and then use a rattle can to color the text. Once the paint has dried/cured, remove the remaining mask and you'll have a nice [hopefully permanent] mark. But of course, as others have stated, sandblasting will yield a better result.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

For outdoor use as a headstone, you definitely don't want to just spray on any old rattle can paint because it will start to fail and look terrible in way too short order. You certainly don't want to have to try to redo it in a year or two! There is paint made specifically for such use (e.g., lithichrome) and, if you are going to do this, you really should do it with the right stuff so you don't give yourself a business black eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    For outdoor use as a headstone, you definitely don't want to just spray on any old rattle can paint because it will start to fail and look terrible in way too short order. You certainly don't want to have to try to redo it in a year or two! There is paint made specifically for such use (e.g., lithichrome) and, if you are going to do this, you really should do it with the right stuff so you don't give yourself a business black eye.
    oops forgot the part about it being outside....my application was not subjected to the elements. Sorry to misinform OP.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    I think you're exaggerating how quickly spray paint fails. Although it's not the best paint in the world, unless you didn't prep the surface or didn't follow the instructions, the paint should last a lot longer than a couple of years.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    I think you're exaggerating how quickly spray paint fails. Although it's not the best paint in the world, unless you didn't prep the surface or didn't follow the instructions, the paint should last a lot longer than a couple of years.
    Regardless Ross, it's still not the right way to do this job. A headstone needs to be sandcarved and paintfilled using the proper equipment and paints. Lasering and spray painting are doing a disservice to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Regardless Ross, it's still not the right way to do this job. A headstone needs to be sandcarved and paintfilled using the proper equipment and paints. Lasering and spray painting are doing a disservice to the customer.
    10 years ago people scoffed at the idea of using laser engraved granite in that industry because it wasn't deep etched. Now it's used very regularly. We don't know what the job is except that it's a headstone and about 18x18x2. It could be anything from a joke, to a piece of advertising, something for a pet, or a real headstone. My opinion is it's not a real headstone because cemeteries are very strict about what vendors they work with and the requirements for the product.

I just don't like to see incorrect information posted as it can result in someone searching and then thinking "spray paint will only last a couple years on granite" which simply isn't the truth.

I have done some marble and granite and they turned out better than the wood, mirrors that ive done. I got the scraps from the local granite marble place. I used rube and buff paint to fill in as colors. Ill see if i can get some one to take some pictures to load up My phone camera doesn't do so good as i dont know how to use the stupid thing old fashion i guess Give me one of those throw away cameras im good simple and to the point
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

I've gone to a few local granite shops/counter top places over the years - guys that have their own saw or water jet. I've introduced myself and asked if I could go through their scrap pile for practice pieces. I bet you could find something along the lines of what you're looking for from a sink cut out or just a scrap, then give the guy operating the saw a few bucks and he'll square it up for you if they're not busy. I've always found those guys to be interested in the engraving process and most don't care about their scrap pile. Problem is that most counter tops are 1" or 1.25" thick so if you have an exact 2" thick requirement you might have to bond 2 1" pieces together and have them cut which could be a pain... I've been sandblasting for 15 years now and have turned a decent amount of granite from the scrap pile into treasures. You can also cut it with a diamond blade with a circular saw or angle grinder yourself - a little intimidating at first but not that difficult, just clamp down a straight edge and keep it wet as you cut. VERY DO-ABLE and great practice material or free money.

To answer some other thoughts on this thread. I've been deep blasting rock and granite for a long time and good quality enamel spray paint has never failed me on any project from landscape rocks to memorial granite stones - kept outside in full sunlight to indoors. I make sure I paint right after blasting so the engraving is fresh and clean. I also engrave VERY deep into the stone.

Regarding headstones, being a sandblaster I have done a fair share of "memorial stones" for humans and pets that being said I have stayed away from doing formal headstones. Formal headstones do have many, many requirements - although spray paint works well from 15 years of outdoor testing on my work - there is a whole business world dedicated to headstones and the requirements for painting and filling are based on their standards. I was offered and turned down a contract for a military cemetery, I didn't think I would be able to meet the multifaceted requirements or the rigor required for produce the exactness to honor our fallen. I will make suitable replicas or other items on request for families and some families have even sought permission to lay my memorial stone next to the official headstone in the cemetery (which can get political...), but I shy away from formal headstones. It all depends on your skills, your tools, and what you're comfortable doing.

All that being said - great information on this thread, I hope I've added some decent info. Good luck with your project! Get creative and make sure your customers needs are exceeded! Let us know how it turns out!

Matt
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    10 years ago people scoffed at the idea of using laser engraved granite in that industry because it wasn't deep etched. Now it's used very regularly. We don't know what the job is except that it's a headstone and about 18x18x2. It could be anything from a joke, to a piece of advertising, something for a pet, or a real headstone. My opinion is it's not a real headstone because cemeteries are very strict about what vendors they work with and the requirements for the product.

I just don't like to see incorrect information posted as it can result in someone searching and then thinking "spray paint will only last a couple years on granite" which simply isn't the truth.
    Ross, I understand what you are saying but since I have some experience here, I'll chime in. I used to do sandblasted sign monuments, first, a lot depends on location, climate, weather, etc. Rattle can paint may very well last longer than a couple years in the right conditions but, there is a reason why they make Lithichrome, it is specifically formulated for stone monuments and as stated on their website, if used and maintained properly can last indefinitely. Assuming that this is an actual memorial/headstone it would seem to make more sense as Glen suggested, to make it as permanent as possible using best quality paints.
    I do agree with you however, that Jay might be better off having the cemetery handle it. When my brother passed away a few years ago I offered to make the headstone myself but my sister in law said that in the end it was easier to just have the cemetery take care of it.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

I don't like to see incorrect information posted either, so I took the original request/description at face value and responded accordingly, rather than make unwarranted speculation about some remotely posible loophole like it being a joke product. Rattle can spray paint is not the right way to color fill a headstone, whether for a human or pet, and regardless of how the engraving is accomplished. Can it be used? Sure. Will it still look good in a couple of years? Not likely. Would you want to stake your reputation on making do with cheap hardware-store spray paint rather than using a formulation specifically developed for the purpose?

Really, you can't say how long spray paint will last because no one has specified what particular rattle can would be used, how it would be applied, and where it will be located. There certainly are some hardware-store spray paints that will last for years in the OP's application, especially in a benign environment. However, there are too many others that (especially depending on depth of engraving and specific application technique, as well as the local climate where the headstone will be placed) will start to dull, fade, chip, and/or peel the very first winter outdoors. That's based on an early experiment I did with stones that were carved and engraved with a bit of color-filled text, used for "butterfly baths" placed in flower gardens in Ohio. There is a huge variation in spray can paints and very few are formulated for color filling etched stone placed outdoors.

Yes, much of the memorial industry now uses lasers for engraving stone, but generally they aren't using low power (like 30-60W) machines to engrave real granite, or to use on anything but fake black granite. And they sure as shootin' are NOT color filling with rattle can spray paint. Say what you want, but defending the use of rattle can spray paint for this application is a bigger disservice than saying it will fail in way too short order. And, please note that I didn't say specifically "spray paint will only last a couple years on granite". While some spray paints MAY still look good after a couple years, many other spray paints found on the same store shelves WILL deteriorate enough over an icy winter that the customer might request repair. You won't risk this sort of problem using a purpose-formulated paint that IS used by that industry.

Maybe you just have a different mindset and/or ethic, looking simply to "get by", or just hoping things will work out for the best. If so, so be it, and you are welcome to your opinion but I don't agree with you.

Junior would really like to see some pictures of your granite and marble work.

@ OP,,,Also a rattle can of Lithichrome is only a few bucks why not do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    I have done some marble and granite and they turned out better than the wood, mirrors that ive done. I got the scraps from the local granite marble place. I used rube and buff paint to fill in as colors. Ill see if i can get some one to take some pictures to load up My phone camera doesn't do so good as i dont know how to use the stupid thing old fashion i guess Give me one of those throw away cameras im good simple and to the point
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 08-20-2015 at 8:10 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander