Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to miter this small box?

Blog Entries
    Plain miters are surprisingly strong, and FWIW if the panel on top and bottom are integral or have an inside frame work then the miter will be supported.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I agree w/ Mike and Brian, miters are surprisingly strong. Tested individually, as mike noted, they can be broken but require considerable force. Tested with four pieces glued up, any force you try to apply to one joint is fairly equally distributed to the others, so it takes a pretty good whack to the floor to break one.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks George.

The point is that a simple mitred box is very quick and easy to make with a donkey ear.

Derek
    So, whats your trick for accurately making the 45 degree donkey ear? Just trial and error? Any adjustments?

Hi Pat

There are a couple of articles on my website about building these and demonstrating them ..

Donkey’s Ear

Rear of Donkeys Ear – dovetailed reinforcement. You can also see the rear of the connection to the man fence.

The underside has four levelling feet, similar to these ..

Fences connect via a bolt through the main fence. This provides both a solid connection plus micro-adjustability for squareness.

Article link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...erfection.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-20-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks Derek. I figured there should be a way to adjust it so you can get the 45 angle needed. Your method looks very well thought out.

OK guys, plain miter it is. I didn't realize that it was that strong being end grain.

As has been said, the bottom will lend strength also; I'll glue it instead of floating it just to be sure.....

Derek-all your stuff is really inspiring! Thanks for posting that.

I'll scope out Mike's ff biscuit tutorial probably later tonite or tomorrow AM

I'll post when I get done.

Thanks everyone.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)