Thread: Changing Garage workshop from Woodworking to Refinishing and Repair

Changing Garage workshop from Woodworking to Refinishing and Repair

After dabbling and enjoying woodworking as a hobby for some time I've discovered my real passion is refinishing and restoration. I've read Jeff Jewitt's and Bob Flexner's books which helps..some. So I've been looking at my typical Table saw small workbench, roll away planer, chop saw, clamp cart and such thinking how to redesign for hand tool work, some spray work but maybe more spot work on finishes, some stripping (outside) and clean up.

Any folks out there doing this type of work even professional have some insights, tips, advice. FYI I'm in central Indiana so summer, fall, winter, spring weather to contend with too.

thanks as always.

Put every tool on wheels, push them into the corner, and cover them. Then do your refinishing. Sooner or later you are going to discover that what you are trying to refinish needs some repairs or replacement pieces, and you will be very happy that you didn't sell off your power tools. BTDT, but I decided later that I liked creating more than refinishing after about a year of it and now the refinishing tools and refinishing materials have the cover over them.

Charley

3. First, dedicate a space that you can keep clean and install a explosion preventive fan. I use an industrial curtain to separate the area and source outside air through a window with a filter cover. This space can be used for spraying, stripping, touch up and repairs. Mine is ten foot by ten foot in which is fine for furniture but small for pianos!
    Dale Probst
    www.wardprobst.com

Thanks folks. that's some pretty cool stuff you're doing there Dale! The more I investigate doing furniture finish repair and fix up it seems that spraying finishes is low on the list of frequent activities. Restoration work though seems to require you are at least able to handle spraying finish for decent size furniture.