Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Shark 3D CNC Router

Possible Shark 3D CNC Router

Hello CNC community. I am a home hobby wood worker and have been making furniture from Oak rough boards for some time now. Mostly for home and the kids. Bedroom sets kitchen cabinets, living room furniture etc.
    I plan to retire from my paying job in a couple years and thought about adding CNC routing to my shop. Some sign making, special touches to furniture, relief carving and who knows what else.
    I see there is a used Shark 3D for sale at $3,000 locally. Would this be a good machine to get into?
    I believe in buying good equipment once (if possible) but do not plan to go into high volume production.
    Thanks in advance for your insite.
    Jim

Considering that a new one runs $2900.00 (http://www.rockler.com/cnc-shark-rou...w-7-0-software) I'd look REALLY close at what extras are coming with the used machine.

As far as whether the Shark is a good quality machine, I can't speak to, as I've never seen one. You may get more answers on a dedicated CNC forum such as CNCzone.com - google "CNC forum" for others.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Save your pennies for a Camaster Stinger 1. More expensive but 4 times the machine.
    I bought one in 2013 as a retirement gift to myself. Absolutely no regrets.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

As long as we're touting favourite brands - I love my Shopbot Desktop with spindle. Like the Stinger, much more expensive than the Shark. I can't compare the Stinger to my Shopbot, but can tell you that I bought the Shopbot six years ago after suffering with a CarveWright (TWO carvewrights actually, I bought a second one to canabalize for parts for the FIRST one!) for three years. I've never had an issue of ANY kind with my Shopbot in those six years of light industrial (I use it full time, at LEAST 10 hours a day, 6 days a week) use.

All that said - I still can't speak to the quality of the Shark (or the Stinger, for that matter), but I'd recommend you do a LOT of research before plunking your dollars down.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    Considering that a new one runs $2900.00 (http://www.rockler.com/cnc-shark-rou...w-7-0-software) I'd look REALLY close at what extras are coming with the used machine.

As far as whether the Shark is a good quality machine, I can't speak to, as I've never seen one. You may get more answers on a dedicated CNC forum such as CNCzone.com - google "CNC forum" for others.
    Thanks, I see a Mount for router included- New Porter Cable 8902 Router Included, Dustboot package and CNC Shark Touchplate
    Didn't mention any software.

I agree w/ Roy and Bruce, I think that is overpriced for a used machine historically made from MDF and plastic. I think you can do better elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Save your pennies for a Camaster Stinger 1. More expensive but 4 times the machine.
    I bought one in 2013 as a retirement gift to myself. Absolutely no regrets.
    I see where the Stinger 1 starts at $6,500. Is this all I need besides router bits?

As long as we're touting favourite brands - I love my Shopbot Desktop with spindle. Like the Stinger, much more expensive than the Shark. I can't compare the Stinger to my Shopbot, but can tell you that I bought the Shopbot six years ago after suffering with a CarveWright (TWO carvewrights actually, I bought a second one to canabalize for parts for the FIRST one!) for three years. I've never had an issue of ANY kind with my Shopbot in those six years of light industrial (I use it full time, at LEAST 10 hours a day, 6 days a week) use.

All that said - I still can't speak to the quality of the Shark (or the Stinger, for that matter), but I'd recommend you do a LOT of research before plunking your dollars down.
    Looks like the Shopbot Buddy is about the same size as the stinger 1. I was thinking 24" wide x at least 24 long would allow for most things I can picture so far. Lists at $7,745
    Will have to read up on the comparisons
    Thanks for the info so far, sure is more than the $3,000 that got me looking! LOL

The machine for which you provided a link is only one of several machines referred to as "Shark". There isn't a current "Shark 3D" model but there is a "Shark HD3". It comes in two versions - the regular size for $4000 and the extended bed model for $5000. If the machine is one of those, then the price looks better.

Like Bruce, I own and use a Camaster Stinger 1 and my only regret is that I didn't buy a larger model. It does beautiful small scale production work. On the other hand, I often read the official Shark forum and there are some really talented people who own and use them. I don't know about posting a direct link but it is easy to find using any search engine. There are many photos of completed projects there.

FWIW, there are hobby machines which are all metal, such as the ShapeOko or X-Carve. Belt-driven though.

The ShapeOko wiki may be of interest, and I’d be interested in any other resources for people considering CNC machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The machine for which you provided a link is only one of several machines referred to as "Shark". There isn't a current "Shark 3D" model but there is a "Shark HD3". It comes in two versions - the regular size for $4000 and the extended bed model for $5000. If the machine is one of those, then the price looks better.

Like Bruce, I own and use a Camaster Stinger 1 and my only regret is that I didn't buy a larger model. It does beautiful small scale production work. On the other hand, I often read the official Shark forum and there are some really talented people who own and use them. I don't know about posting a direct link but it is easy to find using any search engine. There are many photos of completed projects there.
    I'm glad for the OP that you clarified the different Shark models. Like you regarding your Stinger, my only regret on the Shopbot is that I didn't get a bigger model.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gunter View Post
    I see where the Stinger 1 starts at $6,500. Is this all I need besides router bits?
    Jim, the Stinger is completely turnkey. The price includes a complete Win7 PC setup and Vectric's Cut 2D software. The WINCNC controller software that controls the machine is industrial grade. All you need to add is cutters and dust collection.
    I upgraded mine with a spindle and a few other options, and built a table for it while I was waiting for it to be delivered.

Here's a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gunter View Post
    It's a slippery slope! I started shopping for a CNC machine looking to spend 5k. I ended up spending more than 3x on a Stinger II. The best upgrade to get is a spindle. I still can't believe my wife let me buy it. I will be going out on my own, so I do need good gear. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos Kramer View Post
    It's a slippery slope! I started shopping for a CNC machine looking to spend 5k. I ended up spending more than 3x on a Stinger II. The best upgrade to get is a spindle. I still can't believe my wife let me buy it. I will be going out on my own, so I do need good gear. Good luck!
    +10000

Like Cosmos, I make my living at this (turned my hobby into my living), so I needed reliable/sturdy equipment. ALSO like Cosmos - I can't believe my wife let me spend the money I did - I must be a better man than I thought I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post

Here is the Craigs list add for the Shark 3D:
    Table dimensions: 28'' x 36''
    XYZ travel: 25'' x 25'' x 7''
    Overall dimensions: 36-1/4''W x 36''L x 24-1/2''H
    Reinforced to handle larger routers such as the Porter Cable 890 series or Bosch 1617 series (up to 2-1/4 HP router)
    Adjustable bearings give more stability during heavy cutting
    X and Y axes have supported linear guides
    Aluminum and high-density polyethylene construction is designed for heavy use
    Automatic on and off software control of router
    Controller box with aluminum case and push button E-stop
    Mount for router included- New Router Included
    Dustboot package
    CNC Shark Touchplate

Is this the older version of the HD3 ?