Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Holdfast from Veritas should I get?

Blog Entries

Which Holdfast from Veritas should I get?

Looking for feedback from users of either the one that looks like a duck, or the one with the brass knob. I like the looks of the brass knob, but I like the quick release of the duck. I'm really not seeing much difference other than personal preference, but thought I'd ask.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/Search.aspx?action=n

Free shipping on orders over $40 through August 31, by the way.

What about this set from Tools for Working Wood:
    https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...MS-HOLDFAST.XX

And with the savings get a wonder dog from Lee Valley.
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 08-21-2015 at 9:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    I am also buying the TFWW set, but I want an adjustable one for the sliding deadman, and I also like the short shaft option for use on the deadman.

I'm a huge fan of the TFWW holdfasts and it's what I use, but that doesn't really answer your question. For me, I would go with the "Duck Bill" holdfast. I think it's quicker and easier to use and it just looks awesome.

You may be able to get more hold power from the screw top one, but I rarely find that needed.

Michael

Blog Entries
    my thought is that the screw top model would be less in the way if your clamping something to your bench apron. for use on the bench top itself the quick-action one would be my choice. so really just depends what you want to it for.

Ahhh ... In that case, for the deadman, I like the idea of of the hold down clamp (the screw-down version) rather than pounding a hold fast into a sliding deadman. I've yet to install my deadman, but I did put the dado groove in the bottom of the bench top to accommodate one. I don't think deadman designs are intended to support whacking a holdfast.

The other option is to use a round dog in the deadman to support the piece, and a quick release clamp, like an Irwin Quick grip to hold the piece flush to the deadman. For me, another advantage to the hold down clamp is that it truly is a workbench accessory and as such I wouldn't be tempted to re-purpose it in the same way that I would a Quick Grip or similar clamp that is so well suited to hundreds of uses beyond workholding at the bench. So now I think I need to order the screw-down hold down clamp. Man, I'm glad I stopped in this morning!

Blog Entries
    I do believe I'll go for the screw top because it might be ever-so-slightly lower profile, and it seems I can crank down on it more than the duckbill model which seems to be more of an on/off type of thing. (I do realize you can adjust the height, but ultimately I think the screw will let me better tailor the force.) If nothing else, the screw version looks better, and I hate I just said that but if all else were equal- it looks better.

Joe, I'm happy to have helped in your corruption. By the way, in regards to the deadman, I am considering using Rockler T-Tracks for the deadman to slide in and to lock tight in. I also may put a strip of T-Track in the face of it to give a variety of options. Just a thought- although it will distract from the traditional look I was going for- if it works it works.

Blog Entries
    Can't speak to the duck-billed one but I have had the brass screw top one for about four years now and won't part with it. It's also fast and I like the extended length which I've used which seems to come in more handy than the short time that would save with the on-off. That said, I think both would be great but I quit looking for holdfasts when I bought the screw top one.

Blog Entries
    Don't overlook this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...59&cat=1,43838

For use on a deadman it has a slight advantage of being able to lock in lighter material.

The other option might be to get them all.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Don't overlook this one:

For use on a deadman it has a slight advantage of being able to lock in lighter material.

jtk

Oh wow. Never saw that one. Thanks. That may work better for the deadman. Thanks for complicating my decision even further- ha ha.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Oh wow. Never saw that one. Thanks. That may work better for the deadman. Thanks for complicating my decision even further- ha ha.
    You are welcome. Actually I may have made it easier, just get one of each. Then when you decide, buy another.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Don't overlook this one:

jtk
    I started out with this one for my sliding deadman, and found that it was really fiddly. The height adjustment is a series of rings, around which the "head" hooks. Well I could never get it to hook reliably. Further, it has a higher profile, and sticks out in the path of knees! It also has a very short reach (reach is needed to clamp boards to the side of the bench). By contrast, the Veritas screw hold down is just fantastic in the sliding deadman. Easy to set and you can dial in the amount of downforce desired. And good, long reach. Get this one.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-21-2015 at 8:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    I like the screw-down Veritas or a couple mallet-down that I forged. All in all, I like the Veritas screw-down as the go to version.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all. The brass knob one is ordered with both long and short shaft.

You'll be happy, Malcolm! I've had that one for about 2 years and it is the bees knees! I'm very happy with mine.