Thread: Hardware Compatibility to Walnut

Hardware Compatibility to Walnut

I have almost finished a walnut Standing Desk featuring both through tenons and tusk tenons. I now have to choose hardware for the hinges and pencil lip attachment and the color of wood for the wedges. Partially because it isn't finished yet, I don't have a very good eye for this. They are small features, but I want them to fit.Standing Desk.jpg

Does anyone has thoughts about what hardware would look best on walnut that will be finished with amber shellac and then natural Danish Oil? Black, Brass, Oil-rubbed Bronze, Venetian Copper? If Black or Oil rubbed bronze, then ebony for the wedges?, If copper, then cherry for the wedges? If brass, then what? I'm not trying to recreate a period, just something that looks pleasing.

Only walnut pieces I have made used garnet shellac for the wonderful color, then varnish du jour. Brass hardware and ebony accents.

With the walnut, you can't go wrong with the black-black ebony, regardless of the hardware. But then, I never thought through the aesthetics as carefully as you are doing, so what do I know????
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I've seen burnished copper hardware used on walnut furniture and it looks really nice. I prefer using a lacquer finish over walnut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Do you not use oil because it can look muddy? I thought that was what the shellac took care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Bianchi View Post
    ... finished with amber shellac and then natural Danish Oil?...
    I'm no finishing expert, but this sounds backwards to me. Isn't the point of a "Danish Oil" finish to soak into the wood for a "deep" look? Shellac first would prevent the oil from soaking in. Then you put a "soft" finish (oil) on top of a "hard finish (shellac)? I don't get it. Is there a reason for this finishing schedule?

Lots of hardware finishes can look great with walnut: brass, chrome, stainless steel, copper, brushed nickel all look great. I probably would not use a dark finish like ORB or black iron unless you want the hardware to "disappear" against the dark wood.

I like stainless or black oxidized iron.

I agree 100% with Jerry. If you put the shellac on first, you will prevent absorption of the Danish oil.