Thread: Need advise on spraying with the Fuji mini mite 3

Need advise on spraying with the Fuji mini mite 3

I just got my Fuji mini mite 3 and and my first attempt has not gone well so I need some advice as to what I need to do to correct the issue. I am using the 1.3 tip and shooting Sherwin Williams nitro lacquer onto a Walnut table I just built. The temperature here is 90 degrees and the humidity is about 55-60 percent. I am spraying in my garage and have a fan that is pulling the over spray out of the garage. I put my lacquer through a #4 ford cup and timed it about 21 seconds and strained it to get any junk out and I have the air nozzle turned on full open. I have the material nozzle turned out about 6 turns and my first coat looked a little thick and looked like orange peel so I let it dry and sanded it back down. I then turned down the material nozzle to about 3-4 turns out and sprayed again and then it felt gritty when it dried and it appeared it dried to quickly even though I tried to keep the gun between 8-12 inches from my work. I am looking for any of the seasoned sprayers to give me some advice, do I need to add retarder due to the heat drying it to quick, do I get a 1.0 nozzle for better atomization or ?. I know it has to be my technique on using the sprayer and I though I had practiced enough with some black enamel on white banner paper trying out different air and material flow but obviously I don't have it right yet, any advice will be greatly appreciated on getting me back on track.
    Mike

Sorry Mike - I only just saw this thread and noted that it's two months old. Are you still looking for some guidance or have found a setting that works for you?

Cheers,
    Nick