Thread: Rikon 10-325 bandsaw

Rikon 10-325 bandsaw

I bought this bandsaw used and had it sitting for a good month or longer before I tried it out. When I did, it didn't run at first. I fooled around with turning the pulleys and got it running but it made a terrible sound. Turns out the cover over the fan on the motor was dented and the fan was hitting it. So I need a new fan, but am having a terrible time. Rikon doesn't carry the part and recommended Grainger to me. Grainger said they need the motor model which I don't have and Rikon says several motors were used. Grainger also says that they have no 5 1/2" fans or 5" fans with a hole for a shaft as large as this one. Any ideas on what to try next?

I would call Rikon back and tell them to find the part for you.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-22-2015 at 1:27 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I'd look for a motor that would work or take the motor to a motor rebuild shop to see if they can find something.

Take the fan cover off and run the motor and check whether the fan blades are bent. If they check out ok, just hammer the dent out.
    Joe

Can you fix it? Maybe a picture of the offending part?

I'm surprised they didn't just send you a new motor. I had a problem with mine when new, it acted very much like a bad capacitor. They sent me a new motor and didn't want the old one back. This was some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't just send you a new motor. I had a problem with mine when new, it acted very much like a bad capacitor. They sent me a new motor and didn't want the old one back. This was some years ago.
    I doubt if Rikon will provide warranty parts for a used saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I doubt if Rikon will provide warranty parts for a used saw.
    True, forgot the used part. In that case, I'd be inclined to look at somebody like McMaster for a made-in-USA start cap. I've had two Asian caps go bad and I'm nowhere near a heavy user. One was replaced under warranty, one came from McMaster.

Heard back from Rikon today. They are going to try to locate a fan for me. Cross your fingers.