Thread: D8 handle swapping

D8 handle swapping

Greetings all,

I have a D8 with a very nice apple handle and a shot, pitted plate. And I have another with a crap handle and a plate in good condition. It seems logical to mix and match, but of course the holes don't quite match up. I'm considering two options:

1) file the holes with a chainsaw file until they fit. I think this would be the easier course of action. I'm a little worried that this might cause the plate to loosen and slide back and forth in the handle, though I think it's unlikely.

2) grind 3/8"-1/2" off the back of the plate, so I can slide the handle in past the existing holes, and then drill 5 new holes. It seems like more work, but might be a cleaner job.

I should mention that the "good" plate has "Room 7 building G" stenciled deeply into the plate, so it has no collector's value whatsoever; it's just a nice user with no pitting and a nice patina.

So, anybody done either of these approaches and have any suggestions, pitfalls to watch out for, etc.?
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I have filed holes in saw plates as you describe. It worked well enough, and I have had no problems with slippage. If you tighten the nuts properly the handle pinches the blade with plenty of force to keep everything where you put it.

Thanks John, I will give that a try.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert