Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate it when that happens…

I hate it when that happens…

I hate it when I am putting shellac on a chalice and drop it in the sawdust.

I hate it when I clean out the shop vac, clean the shop vac filter, vacuum all of those out of the way places, and when I stop breathing, realize I never put the filter back.

I hate it when that happens.

What do you hate when it happens?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hmm, well, when I head out to the shop to do some thing, and don't even make it to the shop before I forget what I was going to do... Well, actually I get 'distracted'.

robo hippy

I hate it when I've put a lot of time and effort into a cedar bowl for a neighbour, turn it nicely, sand it to final, oil it and wait patiently for the oil to harden over a few weeks. Then fine sand and buff it to that it's quite nice. Then bounce it on the cement floor of my shop and watch it break perfectly into 2 pieces of firewood.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Got a chuckle out of that shop vac story, brian.

I hate it when I'm sanding at 320 and find a tool mark that I missed at 120, 180, and 220, clear across one end of a natural edge bowl, not that this couldn't have happened to me just this morning.

... when my lathe bites the dust and I'm still waiting on repairs

I hate it when:

I have a catch while roughing out a hollow form and break the tenon

I reverse chuck the same piece with the expansion jaws in the center hole, (so i can fix the tenon) and have a catch and crack the collar

I break the tenon a second time while roughing out the hollow form because I had a catch

I again reverse chuck the same piece with the expansion jaws in the center hole, (so i can fix the tenon again) and have a catch and break the collar off

I drop the chuck with a piece mounted that I have been working on for weeks , and get a small crack in the most delicate part of the piece

I use CA to fix the crack, and it leaves a dark stain

I ruin the above listed projects because I needed something to do while I have to wait for glue to dry on the piece I started originally

All of these have happened in the last two hours. Quite the day.

Apparently, I hate waiting for glue to dry!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I been lucky not to do this but a few times in my time turning, but I do hate it when one turns the inside dia. larger than the outside dia. I just doesn't work well at all.
    Jack

I hate it when I spend the whole day repairing a chainsaw that ain't broken! Dam kickback lever.

I hate it when I make 2 funnels in a week in pretty wood. I hate it when I spend an entire weekend repairing a chainsaw that ain't broken. Danm kickback lever!

I hat it when I think my drill bits must need sharpening since it took so long to drill 4 pen blanks that I spend the rest of the night sharpening bits, only to find that the lathe is in reverse.

I also hate it when I decide it "needs" one last finishing pass before sanding begins when Wham, I have a new piece for the fireplace.

+ one to all the above. I have done them all at least once. When these things happen, I take it as a sign to quit for the day and enjoy a cool one.
    Joe

I hate it when I finally get to my lathe to make something really cool that I thought of last week and now can't remember my great idea.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Hey Robert. I don't make any funnels any more after I made this jig. It does seem a little over engineered but is actually pretty easy to make and use. You may see it in "American Woodturner" in the near future.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...tom+finder+jig
    If you click this link it sort of takes you backwards as the latest posts are at the top. The original jig is discussed in the third post down.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .