Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Simple" Miter Box?

Blog Entries
    David, the latest Highland Woodworking video (Highland Woodworker- Episode 19) has interviews and demos I think you might enjoy, including Peter Galbert on splitting (Galbert's demo is about 2/3 through the video). There are commercial interruptions but they are fairly easy to skip over...It was filmed at the recent Handworks 2015 woodworking show, why weren't we there? They also show a Vogt Toolworks shooting board with donkey ear....You might also check out Evenfall Studios web site. They make shooting boards and guides and small tables for making cut offs with hand saws, using rare earth magnets to hold the saw like Derek uses and a small table with plastic top & cut notch... Lots of options & ideas for making or buying the tools to make very accurate miters.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 08-24-2015 at 10:43 AM.

No experience with Nobex, but I do know a 7 tpi is a rip blade too coarse for a miter saw.

You can pick up a nice tenon or xcut saw you can make your own miter box pretty easily.

Why no luck on the TS with a sled?
    With a zero clearance and a backer board and a good quality 60 tooth Xcut blade, it should work.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 08-24-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Oy .. that's my Langdon!

I am in the process of building a saw for a dinky Millers Falls #15 1/2, and will post that on the weekend when it is done. In the meantime, here is a similar sized mitre box I built a little while back ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
    thanks for that, Derek- and posting the plans. I had looked over your website before asking if you had one of your usual over the top fixtures in a miter box. Of course, I missed it. Very nice.

Problem is, if I was even able to make that, I would never want to use it-would just sit under glass on a shelf.

However, my wife thinks our home is a museum, so I may go ahead and devote a couple of years to making one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    David, the latest Highland Woodworking video (Highland Woodworker- Episode 19) has interviews and demos I think you might enjoy, including Peter Galbert on splitting (Galbert's demo is about 2/3 through the video). There are commercial interruptions but they are fairly easy to skip over...It was filmed at the recent Handworks 2015 woodworking show, why weren't we there? They also show a Vogt Toolworks shooting board with donkey ear....You might also check out Evenfall Studios web site. They make shooting boards and guides and small tables for making cut offs with hand saws, using rare earth magnets to hold the saw like Derek uses and a small table with plastic top & cut notch... Lots of options & ideas for making or buying the tools to make very accurate miters.
    I may do that tonite. As always, your kindness and generosity is unmatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    No experience with Nobex, but I do know a 7 tpi is a rip blade too coarse for a miter saw.

You can pick up a nice tenon or xcut saw you can make your own miter box pretty easily.

Why no luck on the TS with a sled?
    With a zero clearance and a backer board and a good quality 60 tooth Xcut blade, it should work.
    The TS works, I just thought, how about just using a miter box, a little Neander action. Right.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post

Is this, from LV, what you mean-Nobex Pro, works wonderfully?:

Yep, it sure does.

Forget what it looks like, and free yourself of the delusion that everything old & heavy is better, and you might be surprised.