Thread: Snakebite Question

Snakebite Question

For those in Snake Country. I.E. The South!!!

Is 1/8" thick Polypropylene Plastic strong enough to prevent a snake from biting into the leg ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    For those in Snake Country. I.E. The South!!!

Is 1/8" thick Polypropylene Plastic strong enough to prevent a snake from biting into the leg ?
    It's kind of soft at that thinness. Also be aware of, feet get bit more often than legs. What type of foot protection you ware is just as important. Snake leggings are made from different materials like a heavy canvas of harder plastic. Most outdoor shops or hunting supply stores carry them.

Anyone I know that has lived in snake country has said the best defence against getting bitten is walk with a heavy foot. Gives the snake lots of time to feel you coming and get out of your way.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    It's kind of soft at that thinness. Also be aware of, feet get bit more often than legs. What type of foot protection you ware is just as important. Snake leggings are made from different materials like a heavy canvas of harder plastic. Most outdoor shops or hunting supply stores carry them.
    +1

Well made leather boots that come to mid calf, and snake leggings.
    Leave the colorful Goretex models on the shelf.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I had Olathe boots custom make a pair of cowboy boots for trekking through snake territory. They used the thickest leather they could get, at my special request. The guy that made them said it would be the last time they ever made a pair like that because he broke four needles making them.

image.jpg

I hate the snakes but I hate the chigger bites even worse. Lots of rattlesnakes this year!!

Red
    RED

Don't tell my wife, We have had a four foot black snake in my half building for the past two years. This is where I store the cut offs and scrap wood for other uses. Ole Butch keeps the mouse population down for us. We haven't seen to many snakes here this year, thanks to Butch, but neighbors have seen some in their yards. Relatives in Eastern TN have told us they have seen more rattlers and copper heads in the mountains this year.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe