Thread: Best Way To Attach Studs

Best Way To Attach Studs

I live in a very old house (1920). It is solid brick construction but there is no insulation. Instead, inside the outer brick walls is a layer of something like a tubular block. I've attached a photo. I want to attach studs above grade level in my basement shop and the question is how to attach studs to the wall, essentially to the tubular block product. I plan on using and adhesive but think they should also be attached with some sort of fastener. The studs will only be 4' high, laid flat and will have plywood attached. Ideas will be appreciated.

Herb Smith

IMG_0109.jpg

I lived in a home built that way. Use a masonry bit and toggle bolts.

Do you have to attach the studs to the outer wall at all? I'd attach them to the top and bottom plates.

Attaching them to the existing wall is actually using them as furring strips. I would do as Phil suggested or attach a new top plate to the floor joists and to the floor. This would be a much better way IMHO. Be sure to use pressure treated for the bottom plate.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'd be looking to add insulation so would first put up 2" of blue foam then furring strips as you describe. otherwise just build a wall as Phil describes with insulation. Tapcon screws are a fast, easy attachment method. Powder-actuated fasteners also work fine and are somewhat faster and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'd be looking to add insulation so would first put up 2" of blue foam then furring strips as you describe. otherwise just build a wall as Phil describes with insulation. Tapcon screws are a fast, easy attachment method. Powder-actuated fasteners also work fine and are somewhat faster and cheaper.
    Tapcons and power won't work in that kind of construction. The block is like flue or drainage tile and shatter

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Tapcons and power won't work in that kind of construction. The block is like flue or drainage tile and shatter
    Jerry is correct those tile will shatter with Tapcons or Powder actuated fasteners.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Oops, thought I was seeing an inch and a half of concrete on top of the tiles that you could anchor into.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are many problems when dealing with an old house and this is one of them. I'd like to be able to attach studs to the floor joists except that I would have to move electrical wiring which is fastened to the underside of those joists along the entire wall I'm trying to work with. This is a basement, so there is no bottom plate and I really only want to come down the wall 4' from the top anyway. I'm going to try to figure out a way to attach to the floor joists and then use adhesive to bond to the wall itself.