Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Ole Betsy" tools just show up

Blog Entries
    I don't really have multiples of any tool, so in the literal sense "no". But I do notice that certain tools are always on the bench - my little block plane, LV 1/2" chisel, scribing knife, favorite 5" square, and Bailey #5. Mybe they have imprinted upon me like geese (a'la Lorenz).

For metal working I always reach for my grandfather's small sledge. It brings up so many good memories and is an excellent tool.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

So you are at the bench and you reach for "Ole Betsy" and not there.You go to that place on the rack or that place In a drawer and she is not to be found. Do you immediately go S&D to find her or do you pick up a comparable tool and go to work?
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    So you are at the bench and you reach for "Ole Betsy" and not there.You go to that place on the rack or that place In a drawer and she is not to be found. Do you immediately go S&D to find her or do you pick up a comparable tool and go to work?
    Jim
    Depends on the tool. Most times I try to take a flashback to the last time it was used. That will usually lead me to where it was left. Otherwise I start to wonder who has been in my shop and moved it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Out of Kmart clearance bin I picked up a 1 1/4" black plastic handled Sandvik chisel. The thin blade and the hollow plastic handle made me rethink chisels.