Thread: Jackson back saw with spanner nuts

Jackson back saw with spanner nuts

Hi, I picked this saw up the other day and can't find much information on it. I think its a Disston made Jackson 14" back saw but the only example I could find had the new style domed split nuts not the spanner type. I read that Disston stopped using this style in 1875 but I don't know if this would have applied to their Jackson line. Any input would be great. Thanks -Devon

Interesting. The Jackson I have had the domed ones.
    Maurice

I have spent a couple hours trying to find more information on early Jacksons but the best I could find was that Disston most likely made it.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Devon and welcome to the Creek. I didn't get a chance to look at my Jackson saw today. This site:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

Indicates Jackson was a second level of saw from Disston. The medallion page indicates the split nut or spanner nuts were discontinued after 1877 on the Disston line. They may have used up old stock on their second tier saws.

My Jackson saw has a replacement blade and works fine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have an open handled Jackson with the same style of split nuts. About a decade ago, IIRC, I sent the saw along (along with another Disston) to Pete Taran, and his opinion was that it was a Disston era made saw, but could not put a date on it, because it was also his opinion that Disston would continue to use all parts until they were gone.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

there were two lines of Jackson saws. One is the Disston second line. The other lesser known is earlier by Wm Jackson in Monroe NY starting around 1820 and going to about 1860. I think what you have is the earlier maker. If you can dig up the June 2007 Gristmill, or the Gristmill Published Saw article publication, Phil Baker has a short article on them.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Thanks Don, I'll track that article down soon. Its amazing how much knowledge is available here on sawmillcreek. Thanks for everyones help so far. -Devon