Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New workshop

New workshop

I recently moved into a new house and with it came a 32 x 44 shop I'm in the process of getting it set up and started with some storage for sheet goods. I will probably partition the top section further, but it gets the pile out of the floor for now.

IMG_1061.jpgIMG_1058.jpgIMG_1065.jpg

Next up: dust collection.

Nice! I don't know what I'd do with that much room but I'd love to find out!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow!
    That is a sweet amount of space for a shop.

Question.... I notice only 4 casters on your wood rack. Is that working out or would you consider 2 more at enter of each side?
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

The casters seem to be working ok, but I may consider adding two more. With the rack loaded with wood, it's not as easy to move as I thought. I may also consider switching to larger wheels later.

I think you need to take more pictures of your new shop and share it with SMC.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

The dust collector has been assembled and powered on. Oneida V-3000. It really sucks!

IMG_1066.jpgIMG_1067.jpgIMG_1068.jpg

The ductwork arrives on Wednesday. I'll post more pics after I get that installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hunt View Post
    The casters seem to be working ok, but I may consider adding two more. With the rack loaded with wood, it's not as easy to move as I thought. I may also consider switching to larger wheels later.
    I did a lot - A LOT - of work on wheeled racks/carts for lumber, in industrial settings. I designed and had fabbed what was easily $250,000 of those critters - could have been 2x that amount, in all honesty. All kinds of sizes and strange designs for specific applications.

Lessons learned:

No one ever saved money by buying inexpensive wheels. Instead, they wasted whatever they did spend. Ball bearings - either sealed or with grease zerk fittings. On wheeled carts/rack approx 48" x 48" x 48" made from 2" OD tube steel, the cost of the wheels was just about the same number as the cost of the steel.

6" is the bare minimum for modest loading, if it will be moved regularly. I never went below 8", though. In a one-man operation, I have to recommend the 8", but wouldn't yell too loudly if you went with the 6". You don't need to have any conversations with your family doctor that include the words "back strain" or "hernia". I am absolutely serious on this point - do not get hurt.

Swivels at the four corners. A pair of fixed in the center of the bottom rails. Shim under those fixed wheels with 3/16" - 1/4" whatever.

Yes - it may tilt or rock just a bit, but not enough to be a problem. But - this gives you a nice leverage point for rotating and moving the cart. And- from either end, you can push for a front-fixed / rear-swivel action, like a forklift. It will turn in its own radius.

Lecture/rant over.

Looking forward to the rest of the build-out. Having fun, ain't we?
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 08-23-2015 at 9:48 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

UPS just stopped by with my work for the next weekend or two. "Some assembly required!"

IMG_1069.jpg

Went out to the shop for a bit and put together the first piece of 7" snaplock pipe. This stuff is challenging to work with. I definitely need to restock the fridge with beer. I'm going to need it when I'm done

This is going to be an awesome shop. Super jealous over the space and looking forward to the progress.

That snaplock is a real pain at first but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Yep, after I got the first snaplock together, I did get the hang of it and the others were much easier. The addition of a strap clamp seriously helped. After I got the seam together, I rolled the pipe so the seam was on the side and pushed down all along the pipe to ensure a good lock.

IMG_1071.jpg

I managed to get 7 of the 7" straights together and sealed with silicon. I installed the main run up to the first Y and called it a day. I'll go back later and seal the joints - I wanted to make sure of the position of the first Y before making anything permanent.

IMG_1072.jpg

Next up is figuring out how to turn the adjustable 90 into a 45. Not as easy as I first thought.

What's with the giant white board. You gonna shown wood working YouTube Video's LOL
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Bryan, nice shop similar to the size of mine. I used the same Jet DC system in the first posting picture for years. I finally got my cyclone system installed and it was a very big difference. You are going to be impressed. I used 20 feet of my left over 4" flex hose for a floor sweep near my lathes and table saw. I had the Rockler dust right sweep system.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    What's with the giant white board. You gonna shown wood working YouTube Video's LOL
    Not a bad idea. I inherited the whiteboard and I'll probably take it down and use it for, well, a whiteboard

Made a little progress with the main duct run. The branch is going to run over to the back wall for sanders, router table, and floor sweep. The end of the main run will drop down for bandsaws and table saw. The closest branch coming down near the DC will handle jointer and planer.

IMG_1073.jpgIMG_1075.jpg