Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardline long distance service - recommendations?

Hardline long distance service - recommendations?

For a variety of reasons, I HATE using my cell phone for long distance calls. I think I want to go back to a hardline phone for long distance service. I do a mix of intrastate and interstate calling.

Do any of you (still) have hardline long distance service? Who do you use? Would you recommend them?

I'm reluctant to call Ma Bell because I'd like to avoid going with UVERSE unless there is no other choice.

Thanks folks!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

What difference does it make? A phone is a phone. Most cell phones have free long distance, just like most landlines. We got rid of our landline, best decision we ever made. The only reason we still have telephones plugged in is because they serve as an intra-house intercom system.

Skype Unlimited is only $2.54 / month if you pay the year in advance. Unlimited calls to any land line or mobile phone in the US or Canada.

https://secure.skype.com/en/calling-rates

I have voip from time warner that works very well. I need a fax and my wife likes the idea of a land line as our cell phones are not dependable where we live not good reception in the house and that is with every carrier

My parents just use a prepaid calling card. Long distance companies started charging a monthly minimum so they dropped long distance. My father does most long distance on his cell phone now days.

If you use UVERSE you may not have a choice on long distance providers. There are cell phones now with better voice quality if that is an issue with long distance calling.

I have a Cox hardline for my business fax, which is also used on occasion for voice calls. Cell service in our (rural) area is variable, and so I use the hardline for conference calls, and other important calls. So far the Cox hardline always works (for 13 years).

Thanks guys! I'll go look at those options. I appreciate your advice!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Unless you are calling outside of the country, most landline services are flat-rate these days anyway. You're already "paying" for the LD on your cell service in most cases. You could use an IP based service via your Internet access, such as Skype, Oooma, etc., but that's just adding cost to your life.

We do have land-line service in our home because 1) it's bundled with our TV and Internet service via Verizon FiOS and 2) we're in a cell dead-spot and E911 service is important to us due to an emotionally disabled adult child in the home. We're essentially paying "nothing" for the service. While we do make some LD calls with it (generally to the 'rents in central Florida while we're eating a meal at the kitchen table) most of our individual calling, local or LD is via our wireless phones. (We have a micro-cell in the house)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    What is that you hate so much about using your cell phone for long distance? If it has to do with using the device itself, they now make cordless phones that connect via bluetooth to your cell phone that allows you to use it just like a land line. My wife wears hearing aids and generally has trouble using her cell phone (she mostly uses it to text). So we have it connected to a wireless phone when she is home and she can hear much better on it. We receive and make calls just as you would using a landline. It has the ability to work with both our phone, even though I don't have mine connected.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Provided you already have high-speed internet service http://www.ooma.com/ is highly regarded. Just buy the device and then the only monthly cost is pass-through junk fees.

Another option if it is just the device would be to get a bluetooth headset that works with the cell phone. Bluetooth is on pretty much every cell phone these days.

"Long Distance" is still a thing????

Adding "land line" service with "free" long distance to our Verizon FIOS TV and internet was essentially free, but this is also VOIP or something very much like it, no longer a POTS (plain old telephone service) line. VOIP has gotten good enough that there is no real difference in quality any more. The only real difference is that POTS used to keep working when the power went out.

If your cell signal is the problem you can get a personal repeater that connects to the interweb and provides good cell coverage in a ~50-100 ft radius where it doesn't otherwise exist.

Thanks again for all the ideas guys! I've got plenty to work with now.

Have a good evening!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    What is that you hate so much about using your cell phone for long distance? If it has to do with using the device itself, they now make cordless phones that connect via bluetooth to your cell phone that allows you to use it just like a land line. My wife wears hearing aids and generally has trouble using her cell phone (she mostly uses it to text). So we have it connected to a wireless phone when she is home and she can hear much better on it. We receive and make calls just as you would using a landline. It has the ability to work with both our phone, even though I don't have mine connected.
    Larry, I have no experience with hearing aids & cell phones (though that may change) but I found this while surfing my cell phone provider's web site:

http://www.airvoicewirelessphones.com/HAC-Phones/

In part:
    Compatible Phones and Devices
    We work closely with handset vendors to improve the user experience of customers who have hearing aids. Pursuant to FCC guidelines, the handsets listed below have been tested and rated for Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC). These HAC ratings, or "M-Ratings" and "T-Ratings," help hearing aid users find the best phone for their needs.

M-Ratings: Mobile phones rated M3 or M4 meet Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requirements and are likely to generate less interference to hearing devices that do not operate in telecoil mode. M4 is the better/higher of the two ratings.

T-Ratings: Mobile phones rated T3 or T4 meet FCC requirements and are likely to be more usable with a hearing device’s telecoil (“T Switch” or “Telephone Switch”). T4 is the better/higher of the two ratings. (Note that not all hearing devices have telecoils in them.)

This is the first I'd known about cell phones & hearing aids.

We have cordless phones with blue tooth in the base station. We already had several hand sets scattered around the house. They have a second 'answer' key and different ring tone for blue tooth connected phones. It saves having a cell phone in my pocket. The blue tooth connection seems very reliable. Like Jim B. we have Verizon Fios and last time I checked "double play" - TV and internet cost the same as "triple play" - TV, Internet & Phone. I do think the call quality on Verizon is better than call quality on cell phones, plus I have more confidence in 911 using a land line. Perhaps I'm wrong on that but for us there's no benefit to dropping the land line. If we had a different telecom provider the answer might be different.