Thread: Gough & Bowen Rabbet Plane

Gough & Bowen Rabbet Plane

I bought a wood rabbet plane on the auction site. (Item #400951046340). The cutter is perpendicular (not skewed) and it's about 1 7/16" wide according to the description.

I don't own any wooden planes not have I ever used one. I think I'll be able to get the iron sharpened and set without too much trouble. I haven't done it, but I'm somewhat familiar with how to remove, tighten and adjust the iron. I also have an idea how to start the plane using a knife line (We'll see )

Is there anything else I should do to set it up?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    I don't own any wooden planes not have I ever used one. I think I'll be able to get the iron sharpened and set without too much trouble.
    There is nothing like having a wooden plane to learn how to use one. The straight cutter will be easier to sharpen and get set up than a skewed blade.

As many people as there are here using wooden planes, will likely be about the same as the number of ways to get this thing working for you.

For me, it works to hone the edges of the blade so there is a sharp intersection between the bevels on the side of the blade and the back of the blade (the side facing forward). It also works for me to press the plane's side which will be against the vertical side of the rabbet on the top of the bench to set it. If it isn't out enough, lay a few shavings fore and aft of the blade when doing this. You'll find the "sweet spot."

If a knife line doesn't work for you try a batten along the cut. After a little depth is achieved it can be removed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim,

I'll have to give the batten a try. Using a couple shavings to set the side projection is a great idea.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle